Author Topic: Two mirror reflection problem  (Read 674 times)

2022-12-29, 09:28:20

ulfmir

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I created simple scene with 2 red mirrors, and some simple background behind it. Could someone plese tell me why the reflection is edged and not behave like one in real life? I tried to maximazie max depth but it didn't help.
I attach example render and my scene.

2022-12-29, 11:03:12
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you want lifelike result, you need to recreate your scene as close to real life as possible. Mirror is almost never just a perfectly polished sheet of metal, usually it's very thin sheet of metal behind a sheet of glass. This tiny detail makes very little difference in most situations, but sometimes, when there's two or more mirrors in front of each other, and/or when they're viewed from very close, the way they're made makes a big difference and it's very important to replicate their construction in your scene as close as possible. I added thickness to the glass and assigned simple glass material to the front and side walls and red tinted perfect mirror material to the back wall and result is much closer to what you may expect to see in real life, i think.

Another issue with your scene, is that it's completely out of scale, unless you're trying to render the mirrors that are rivaling Eiffel tower in their size. Always try to make your scenes as close to the real world in scale as it's possible, otherwise you risk to run into all sort of issues sooner or later.

An lastly, your Max's gamma and LUT settings are wrong. It is highly recommended to setup them correctly when working with modern renderers like Corona and using industry standard linear workflow.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-12-29, 12:14:05
Reply #2

ulfmir

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So in real life can you see this strange reflection ending? I don't think so.

Can you tell me what's incorrect in my gamma and LUT setting?

I think scale isn't the issue here.

I atach photo of simillar situation in real.

2022-12-29, 14:07:07
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not sure what you mean by the "strange reflection ending", but the areas that you've marked in the render, are physical edges of reflected mirror. I'm not sure what you're expecting to see here?

Can you tell me what's incorrect in my gamma and LUT setting?

Your bitmap output gamma is set to 1.0 The correct way is to have it at 2.2

I think scale isn't the issue here.

Probably not, but it's good to develop a habit to always work in close to life scale. The issues from incorrect scale might bite you when you least need it.

2022-12-29, 14:35:59
Reply #4

ulfmir

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You got there a lot of these sharp edge reflections which isn't physical behaviour. You can check it with two flat reflective surface like I did.

I saved jpeg as gamma 2.2. I chose it manually. I often save .hdr with gamma 1.0, that's why I didn't change to 2.2 in my max.

Yes, that is only an example and scale has nothing to do with it.

2022-12-29, 15:40:05
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Sharp edges are there because the objects themselves are perfectly sharp. As you probably know, no object in real world is perfect, every surface has some imperfections, every edge and corner is slightly uneven and beveled and that's why you don't see perfect reflections in life. The physics are accurate in Corona. Should you faithfully recreate real world scenario in your scene, Corona would render it very close to ground truth.

2022-12-29, 15:54:20
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just for the record: this was also reported as support ticket #74033. Feel free to continue here.

My biggest problem so far is that I do not understand what you consider "correct" and "incorrect".
"why the reflection is edged and not behave like one in real life?" - what do you mean by "edged" reflection? How does it behave in real life?

Corona is a path tracer. We shoot some rays and see what happens. We handle physical phenomena like reflections and refractions pretty well. :)

If you switch to some other renderer (V-Ray / Scanline / Arnold) - does it look any different?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us