Author Topic: Mac M1 LOW POWER MODE bug lives on.  (Read 11934 times)

2022-10-24, 23:27:42

rafaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Few ppl here already reported this few releases ago and the bug lives on..

Very simple, on the macbook settings has an option to save battery called "Low power mode"

If you're not on low power mode the render speed drops to 600-750% (processors power), when you switch it on to Low power mode the processor's cores go full blast up to 900% ish speed.

It wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't have to use other apps that are very affected by the low power mode turned on

tested on lots of differente scenes,
it's not a Heat problem

I'm on Macbook pro 16 m1
tried on Cinema 4d r25,26 and 2023 latest version
Corona 9 final release

2022-11-07, 10:07:47
Reply #1

masterzone

• Active Users
  • CGI Generalist since 1998
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
mmm...I tried several time to found a solution to use more than 800% or more of the CPU during rending on my MBpro M1 Max. I continue to have around that percentage.
There are some Corona Render problems on M1 processors. I have Intel processor iMac too here and the percentage during rendering go up to 990%...
I will give to your tips a try....
If you try the Cinema4D internal rendering engine you will able to use all percentage of the processor...but not with corona render....

| www.c4dzone.com
| Italian Maxon Training Center
| www.zuccherodikanna.com
| Italian based CGI Studio

2022-11-07, 10:17:13
Reply #2

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
I tried your tips...I switched to low power mode during rendering and this is the test. On signed area Ive switched OFF low power mode and Corona render slow down the process up do 750%...
Absolutely strange behaviour...I think that developer needs to found a solution on M1 processors...
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-11-07, 10:19:58
Reply #3

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
did you try with interna cinema4D engine? here is a comparison with a standard Cinema4D scene...the settings doesn't affects the rendering speed that still uniform...I think Corona developers have a lot to do with M1 processor...we lost around 20 or 30% of the power on the trash...
Very disappointed..
Alex
« Last Edit: 2022-11-07, 10:36:20 by masterzone »
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-11-07, 14:38:03
Reply #4

rafaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thx for yor response!!

that's exacly what the problem is, I also tried differente engines and only on corona has this issue. It has been like this for few releases already, we did report and some other post but never got looked at.

Please Devs take a look at it.

thx

2022-11-10, 11:23:43
Reply #5

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can the Devs comment on this please? Would be good to know that if we are spending a tonne of cash on an Ultra Studio or whatever comes next that we are going to get all the juice out of it? (or even my current M1Max)

2022-11-11, 11:26:50
Reply #6

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
Maybe something is going wrong with Cinema4D with or without corona render.
Take a look into this video and watch what happen to Cinema4D memory....I got many crash on Corona Render during day too...but maybe Cinema4D help Corona to crash....(watch it on YouTube so you can enlarge the video)

This is the replay from Maxon's Support:

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the issue you experienced.

I was able to reproduce the issue here to.

There's been a bug filed for the behavior you've described. I've aggregated all of your comments and information alongside the bug report to our Engineering team, who will continue to dig into the issue and prioritize it for a fix.

The timeline for a fix will vary depending on the impact (how many customers are affected) and severity (how bad is the bug) as well as the status of new feature work. As such, I cannot provide a time estimate as to when it'll be fixed.

I am very sorry, but currently I have no solution for you to prevent it.

As we are able to reproduce this from Cinema 4D 2023 down to S24, we think this is an issue with the macOS Graphics Driver.
We have to clarifiy this with Apple first.

« Last Edit: 2022-11-11, 11:56:37 by masterzone »
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-11-11, 15:23:13
Reply #7

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just out of interest, is this setting for 'On battery' or 'On power adapter'? I have my macbook charger plugged in all the time 24/7 so have battery set to automatic and power adapter to 'high power'.. Should I be setting both to low for rendering?

Thanks

2022-11-11, 18:27:27
Reply #8

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
You can leave settings to "automatic"...usually this settings is for optimising the energy saving. If you leave all to automatic you will get the best performance during the rendering. Most of this settings is for the GPU. We don't know why Corona change the rendering speed based on these settings...
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-11-11, 19:56:57
Reply #9

rafaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey mate,

M1 doesn't have the automatic setting, it's either on or off and that's the most annoying part having to switch on and off depending on what software you're using.

Hello? Any dev around? at least to say something about it? 

2022-11-19, 16:44:52
Reply #10

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Er... Mine does. M1 Max Macbook pro.

Assume you mean that Automatic setting?

2022-11-29, 12:48:27
Reply #11

rafaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great!

We have one more release and no ANSWER OR MENTIONS about this issue, the real question here is why the corona team is totally avoiding this problem? We're are paying just like everybody else and being totally excluded.

2022-11-29, 18:38:19
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay. I can assure you that we are looking into this. We don't want to share any updates before we have some specific results and explanations from the dev team.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-12-01, 12:33:53
Reply #13

rafaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay. I can assure you that we are looking into this. We don't want to share any updates before we have some specific results and explanations from the dev team.

Thanks for letting us know!

2022-12-02, 08:59:23
Reply #14

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
finger crossed....
| www.c4dzone.com