Author Topic: Base tale to affect clearcoat  (Read 855 times)

2022-10-12, 15:55:04

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I noticed that base tail parameter only affects base roughness and not clearcoat. In my mind it would make more sense if it would affect clearcoat too, afterall IRL when an object receives wear and tear, it primarily affects outmost layer's look and usually that's a clearcoat. Ideally we should be able to choose what layer should be affected by base tail - base, clearcoat, or both.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-10-12, 20:21:25
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The ideal solution you mention last would be technically sound since it can be achieved with LayeredMTL as well. But the first suggestion, that it should affect clear-coat would be wrong in my opinion.

- In real-world, that unique GGX tail parameter is almost exclusively meant for simulating metals which have more unique microfacet surface distribution, it's not meant for wear& tear. As hack, it can be used for fabrics but that is not what it is supposed to simulate. In Vray the implementation was just lerp between two different BRDF models.
- Is there any other than polyurethane based clear-coat? It always looks the same. And it doesn't share any specular property with underlaying material.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!