Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Reflection IOR vs falloff for wooden floor

(1/2) > >>

mantaskava:
When creating some of the materials (usually it's wooden floor) I often times see people using falloff nodes to control varying degrees of reflection depending on the view/camera.
But isn't IOR/reflection IOR settings doing exactly that? Why then complicate things and use some additional nodes? Unless you need that extra control that falloff nodes give you. Or am I missing something else here?

Thanks

dj_buckley:
User preference? Different version of software i.e. legacy setups? etc etc

mantaskava:
I assume it's just that, but still, wondering if I'm missing something else here

TomG:
Nope, you aren't missing anything else :) It is either legacy workflows, old habits, or just preference to gain a specific result that is desired for artistic reasons.

Basshunter:

--- Quote from: mantaskava on 2022-07-04, 18:17:01 ---When creating some of the materials (usually it's wooden floor) I often times see people using falloff nodes to control varying degrees of reflection depending on the view/camera.
But isn't IOR/reflection IOR settings doing exactly that? Why then complicate things and use some additional nodes? Unless you need that extra control that falloff nodes give you. Or am I missing something else here?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

You're talking about this video, aren't you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBsO-8Fbpo

If this is the case, I asked my self THE SAME question during the whole video! Why in heaven does a "PRO" artist use these kind of odd workflows that have no apparent benefit? At first, I thought I was missing something. Now I'm more with Tom on this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version