Author Topic: Interactive Render + Camera projection causes MaxCrash  (Read 1817 times)

2016-12-22, 05:45:03

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Hi everyone,

Today I ran into an odd problem that took some time to figure out what caused it, but I think I have narrowed it down to a combination of running Interactive render while moving a camera that is controlling a camera projection.

This is super handy as camera projections doesn't seem to display correctly in the viewport, so being able to adjust the camera position using interactive is amazing!  until max crashes of course.

This happens in corona version 1.5.2 hotfix, 1.6 daily 23rd/oct and the very latest 1.6 daily from 13th/dec.

I have attached a few images.

1. just a quick preview of what the project looks like, photo matching and coloured patterns being projected from above onto the ground.
2. material setup
3. viewport view of the projected camera which is the camera being rotated while interactive is running
4. viewport perspective of the scene geo (fairly unimportant, but might help understand what is going on).

I can't upload the maxfile right now, and I haven't had time to test if it crashes in other files too, but to replicate the theory all you need is the following:

1. simple geo, a plane or box
2. camera for your render view
3. camera looking straight down for projection
4. setup the camera projection material to project any given jpeg onto the plane
5. start interactive render to see the result and....
6. while interactive render is running, select camera from 3. and rotate it back and forth seeing the updated result in interactive.
7. more often than not I could rotate maybe once or twice and then max would crash.

Hope this makes sense, if not please do ask!