Author Topic: CoronaPattern playground!  (Read 42376 times)

2022-08-03, 16:30:33
Reply #60

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Besides, I mentioned a little earlier, but no one answered, in VFB it seems that the Refresh button does not work, it just does nothing when you click on it, maybe you should remove it  and make vfb a little more compact in width?)

The Refresh button only works if you have automatic VFB refreshing disabled or set to a very high value (System Settings). I won't work in IR.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-03, 16:48:47
Reply #61

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
This may have been mentioned before but we're finding that IR needs to be manually restarted all the time when making changes to materials used by coronapatternmod e.g. whatever's assigned to the pattern object or the underlying object. the changes don't visually update at all/properly until IR is restarted.

also would it be possible to somehow separate the current "tiling" so that the pattern object scale can remain fixed? I.e. have an object of a very specific size say 5cm cubed, and tile it how you want without the object itself shrinking etc.

it's SUPER SUPER impressive and useful by the way guys!!
We've got this one logged and will fix it :)

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-08-04, 03:51:07
Reply #62

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the video, but it does make me question about usefulness of such feature. On the other hand i like your idea about scaling and overlapping, especially if it could be randomized.

Basically, here is usefulness, without random rotation on the left / with random rotation on the right

Wow. Nice felt! How's the performance?

2022-08-04, 11:18:46
Reply #63

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Oh, now i got it, you need to change the ID Mode to "Pattern object". My bad, but maybe it's better to make it the default?

anyways I've already recorded the video, so I'll attach it :D

I can’t make a full-fledged example with a working case right now, I just recorded a short video, yes, it just cuts out everything that does not fit and leaves gaps

corona_vray_randomize.mp4 - I think you only need to change the multimap mode to "Mesh Element" (see screenshot). The only issue is that if the pattern node consists of more than one element, then those elements will be colored differently. So instead of two boxes always being the same color, we will get two boxes with two different colors. I think for this to work as expected we would need a new "Pattern" randomization mode, like we have for Decals. :)

vray_rotation.mp4 - this is already logged

pattern overlaping3.mp4 - this is already logged

2022-08-04, 12:25:49
Reply #64

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
"I think for this to work as expected we would need a new "Pattern" randomization mode, like we have for Decals. :)"

+1 for this! Would make life easier for sure.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2022-08-08, 19:55:47
Reply #65

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
"I think for this to work as expected we would need a new "Pattern" randomization mode, like we have for Decals. :)"

+1 for this! Would make life easier for sure.

Logged for consideration.

(Internal ID=944192637)

2022-08-09, 04:19:22
Reply #66

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

it's nice that we have an option to choose UVWs between pattern and base objects, but sometimes (quite often) i want to have both. Maybe good solution would be to have dedicated surface map, like Chaos Scatter has, which would let to get base object's colours without sacrificing pattern object's UVs. In fact both, the Scatter and The Pattern could share the same map
just once again faced with such a need, after all, when you make carpets or fabric, it is very important to be able to impose, say, a print on top of the finished product, while maintaining the texture coordinates for individual fibers on the pattern itself

so +1 for this feature

2022-08-12, 12:44:06
Reply #67

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
It would be nice to see an option smth. like CapHoles to prevent these holes.

2022-08-12, 13:47:05
Reply #68

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Logged so far, we will also log the request for "surface color":

Scaling Corona Pattern tiles individually so that they could overlap with each other
Rotate CPattern without having to adjust base object UVWs
Randomize the rotation of CPattern tiles
Randomization per pattern node in Multimap and UVW Randomizer
Offset and scaling randomization in CPattern
Improve the way Corona Pattern segments connect with each other ("weld seams") to prevent visible seams
Corona Pattern - "Fit in custom object space" option for the Crop Box
Automatic capping of the pattern geometry
An option for the CPattern crop box to always remain visible in viewport
Ability to use whole groups/hierarchies as the pattern node
Ability to use more than 1 pattern node
Ability to project CDecal on top of CPattern with "use pattern material" option enabled

+some more internal bug reports / feature requests :)

2022-08-12, 14:01:20
Reply #69

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Cool. If you will implement all of that, then also consider changing the tool's name to CoronaSwissArmyKnifePattern :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-12, 16:11:29
Reply #70

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru, good list 👍🏻

2022-08-15, 12:39:18
Reply #71

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Logged so far, we will also log the request for "surface color":

Scaling Corona Pattern tiles individually so that they could overlap with each other
Rotate CPattern without having to adjust base object UVWs
Randomize the rotation of CPattern tiles
Randomization per pattern node in Multimap and UVW Randomizer
Offset and scaling randomization in CPattern
Improve the way Corona Pattern segments connect with each other ("weld seams") to prevent visible seams
Corona Pattern - "Fit in custom object space" option for the Crop Box
Automatic capping of the pattern geometry
An option for the CPattern crop box to always remain visible in viewport
Ability to use whole groups/hierarchies as the pattern node
Ability to use more than 1 pattern node
Ability to project CDecal on top of CPattern with "use pattern material" option enabled

+some more internal bug reports / feature requests :)

Amazing. Big one for me would be to respect real world sizes. So a node drawn at realworld scale would stay at realworld scale when realworld scale is selected in the mapping options! I'm hoping this is an easy one with the right maths for someone far more clever than me. It would save so much time over trying to rescale by eye and then again on different objects.

2022-08-15, 13:25:42
Reply #72

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
+1 for real world/persistent scaling. Perhaps a simple checkbox "maintain object scale" would do the trick?
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2022-08-16, 13:24:37
Reply #73

user116

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Amazing. Big one for me would be to respect real world sizes. So a node drawn at realworld scale would stay at realworld scale when realworld scale is selected in the mapping options! I'm hoping this is an easy one with the right maths for someone far more clever than me. It would save so much time over trying to rescale by eye and then again on different objects.

+1

2022-08-16, 14:05:41
Reply #74

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

+1 for real world/persistent scaling. Perhaps a simple checkbox "maintain object scale" would do the trick?

Hi, I wanted to log it for the devs, but then I started wondering if this is feasible at all.
If we pattern an object on a plane - that's easy. If you know the size of the original object (e.g. 6x6cm) then you can add a UVW map modifier to the plane, set its length x height to 6x6 and it's done. You end up with the pattern looking identical as the node object.

But if we pattern the same 6x6cm object on something else, for example a sphere, or some other "curvy" surface, then some modules will be larger and some will be smaller. Even if we specify some specific size, this will be still stretched/squashed/curved in various places making the pattern appear very different than the original node object.

I'll try to find out if it's something we could do at all or not.