Author Topic: Setting Megascans materials  (Read 1784 times)

2021-03-02, 14:56:00

Matthew86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys!
Can I ask you a clarification about the use of megascans textures? I'm struggling to undesrtand if i have to use the textures with the embedded color profile or if I have to change it to linear.
Usually I use the maps in this order:

• AO (multiply) + Albedo
  • Roughness (with the new phisical material of corona 7)
  • Specular map: inside the IOR slot, with a value of 1.79, with a corona color correct shader to apply the LUT Specular To Ior v2 (following the thread of Dubcat for 3dmax)
  • Normal map: inside corona normal shader

All the textures with the embedded color profile. Is it correct? What is the right setup?
Thanks for the help!!

2021-03-06, 13:57:23
Reply #1

fabrica

• Active Users
    • View Profile
would like to know answer also!

2021-03-06, 15:10:48
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not familiar with C4D nomenclature, but as a rule of thumb, you need to load colour maps (albedo) with gamma applied. On the other hand, data maps (roughness, displacement, normal, specular) should be loaded linearly. Probably the sole exception is AO map, since its usage is pretty arbitrary thing, you can load it either way, depending on what effect you want to achieve. If you load your maps correctly, then albedo map in material editor should look the same as it looks in your browser, and other maps should look brighter and less contrasty.

BTW, multiplying AO with albedo is not considered as good habit in Corona and other offline renderers. It would be better to use cavity map for this purpose instead.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-06, 15:49:47
Reply #3

fabrica

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, will play around with it and see