Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524309 times)

2022-08-04, 14:30:15
Reply #1035

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even when they're not realistic enough for direct visibility, they may be invaluable tool for modulating the light quality (both inside and outside).

I didn't think of this. Good point.

They do affect the lighting (basing this on the V-Ray ones which I played with quite a lot), so you can have them cast shadows on the ground for instance, and as the clouds animate and move, so the lighting changes and an area can move from being in shadow to being illuminated. It's rather cool. Of course the clouds are rarely the "point" of an image and not meant to be what people are looking at, just to fill in the background, and they work great for that (without the render time hit that comes from a full volumetric solution).

It does sound great. So many nice toys in the last year :)

2022-08-04, 17:07:55
Reply #1036

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sounds great! Can't wait to see cloudy Corona sky for once :]

Like this?

disclaimer: early prototype ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-04, 17:49:32
Reply #1037

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D

Like this?

Woah :o

If you don't mind I'd like to ask an under-the-hood question...

In instances like this, where Corona is adopting a v-ray feature (enmesh is another example, improved sky is another but from Corona->Vray) is the code re-written entirely? Or is it somehow copied across?

I guess what I'm asking is; will the procedural clouds in Corona be different than the v-ray procedural clouds? Do you guys make an effort to copy the features + usage completely or do you try to distinguish it from the vray features?

Just interested, ignore me if you don't feel like disclosing!
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-08-04, 18:00:29
Reply #1038

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It varies with each feature, so we can't give a global overall answer to that :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-08-04, 18:32:06
Reply #1039

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Like this?

WOW
That looks good. What are render times like?

2022-08-04, 18:53:59
Reply #1040

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Render times are really good, because these are not true volumes in the 3D scene. Going from the experience on V-Ray, adding a few clouds makes no noticeable difference compared to an empty sky, but if you make it super cloudy and have ground shadows you may notice a slight impact on render times (still nothing compared to adding OpenVDB or VolumeMtl clouds though!) You can basically activate these whenever you like without being concerned about render time impact (of course, still waiting to test this in Corona myself, but I can't imagine it would be THAT different from the V-Ray situation).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-08-04, 19:00:54
Reply #1041

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
clouds are basically from Enscape so quite fast indeed.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-08-04, 19:04:23
Reply #1042

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Like this?

C'mon man, show us the renders, not the photos from your phone :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-04, 22:06:14
Reply #1043

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Render times are really good, because these are not true volumes in the 3D scene. Going from the experience on V-Ray, adding a few clouds makes no noticeable difference compared to an empty sky, but if you make it super cloudy and have ground shadows you may notice a slight impact on render times (still nothing compared to adding OpenVDB or VolumeMtl clouds though!) You can basically activate these whenever you like without being concerned about render time impact (of course, still waiting to test this in Corona myself, but I can't imagine it would be THAT different from the V-Ray situation).

Awesome. I won't wish I had Dreamscape anymore.

2022-08-05, 11:04:18
Reply #1044

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
If you don't mind I'd like to ask an under-the-hood question...

not at all ;)

In instances like this, where Corona is adopting a v-ray feature (enmesh is another example, improved sky is another but from Corona->Vray) is the code re-written entirely? Or is it somehow copied across?

Could be 0 - 100% depending on feature.

Enmesh/Pattern was developed pretty much independently because of what the feature is - the major part of the feature is the infrastructure connecting it to the renderer. The pattern itself is relatively simple render-time instancing, but connecting it with everything else is tricky. No code reuse was possible here. Also the Corona version was finished at the same time as VRay, not after.

In case of clouds the major part of the feature was easy to adopt, so using VRay code here helped massively.

I guess what I'm asking is; will the procedural clouds in Corona be different than the v-ray procedural clouds? Do you guys make an effort to copy the features + usage completely or do you try to distinguish it from the vray features?

When adopting, the second team has the benefit of seeing what worked out and what did not, and adjusting it accordingly. Like with any other product - the second iteration is usually more polished.
Independent of this, there are always adjustments based on the individual product philosphies. In case of Corona, we ask how we can make it streamlined and easy to use. V-Ray team usually has to add more knobs for some specific edge case workflows requested
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-08-05, 12:05:27
Reply #1045

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

When adopting, the second team has the benefit of seeing what worked out and what did not, and adjusting it accordingly.

I like this. I guess it makes sense for Corona implementation to often come second when youre looking for the streamlined approach then.

Just putting it out there...Its been seven years since the first post (that i can see) asking for the IR window size to be lockable. It was said at the time (2015) by Maru that it was already planned.
It irritates me and causes me to lose time on a daily basis waiting for a previously clean IR window to re-render itself after moving the window and having it undock itself and resize.

Can we PLEASE get this much needed feature in V9? At this point it has to be the most posted feature request on these forums.

2022-08-05, 14:54:12
Reply #1046

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a suggestion: use the in-viewport version of IR + 2D zoom/pan

Much better than dealing with a vfb.

2022-10-03, 16:09:42
Reply #1047

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Reset for new release cycle, implemented features removed from the poll ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-10-03, 16:11:48
Reply #1048

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Oof, wish I could vote for more than 3... ! :)
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2022-10-03, 16:38:46
Reply #1049

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For this "New and better frame buffer", I hope it means being able to see albedo in the docked version, and to retain the rendered image when stopping IR :)

EDIT: and for this "Dedicated fabrics shader" it would be great to see some kind of fuzzy hair effect, longer hair than just a falloff effect of the current shader, something that is currently very hard to achieve without taking too much in resources.