Author Topic: Cleanup Noise  (Read 6983 times)

2015-05-29, 12:22:33

DjordjeIlic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello every one:)

I need some help about noise in out of focus parts?
How can I cleanup my image?

Take a look at the picture, where I circled problematic parts

I tried same thing without dof but nothing special...Noise is here!

I think that is half of hour should be enought to clean the image,but it isn't...Do i have to let it render a little bit longer,or do i have to set something in render?

I have one more question...What is mean sample on materials...? I don't see a difference in quality when I changing these parameters

Thank you very much

2015-05-29, 12:52:27
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi,

What was the exact amount of passes and rendering time here?

If the quality of DOF is acceptable and you are getting noise only in GI, then you should increase GIvsAA samples (16? 32?). You probably followed the guide to decrease GIvsAA when rendering DOF - well, it depends on the kind of scene. You can also try lowering light samples multiplier to 1 (if it won't introduce noise in direct light/shadows). Also revert UHD cache precision to 1 as with 2 there should be virtually no difference and it will probably be slower.

I think the noise is uniform, not only in out-of-focus areas, just you don't have much diffuse materials in the focused area so it is not visible.

The "50 samples" in material settings refers to "rounded corners" option only. You can see a tooltip when you hover your mouse over the samples text field (as everywhere else in Corona).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-05-31, 22:45:58
Reply #2

DjordjeIlic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Maru :)
Thank you very much for fantastic tips!
I followed your instructions but without success:(
please look at this images

First render is my setup

Second render is your recomednation

Third render is my experiment...

I have better noise in second and third render but very bad in DOF...( Yes! I followed corona guide about dof.)
Time of render is the same, but number of passes is different.

If you want, you can try this scene when you had the time.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwd30l8ksu9sc2y/CoronaTeapotsScene.zip?dl=0
Maybe you can find better solution than I am.

Maybe I demand a lot of Corona for such a short time?!?!

Thank you very much ;)

2015-05-31, 23:20:05
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Those samples in CoronaMTL are for rounded corners feature. They are irrelevant for any shading quality. LSM or UDH precision will not help you to clean DoF either, so set them back to default (LSM 2 and UHD precision 1.0)

What you need is simply balance AA rays and GI rays. Your scene is spending too much rendering time on GI rays, which take care of lighting, reflections, refractions and GI, but not enough time on AA rays, which take care of DoF.

So what you need to do is to decrease GI/AA balance to something like 4. Once you do that, and render, you will notice it will not improve quality, but it will make passes render much faster.

That's because now you are doing only 4 GI rays per one AA ray. GI/AA balance is basically amount of GI rays per AA ray, and Passes is basically amount of AA rays. Each pass calculates one AA ray per pixel.

So to clean up DoF, you need more AA rays. In Corona, AA rays are passes. So you need to increase passes to something like for example 256. But because you decreased how many GI rays are done for each AA rays, those passes will not take as long as they would take with 16 GI rays per AA ray. Passes will take less time, therefore in given time, you can afford to have many more of them. And many more AA passes mean cleaner DoF.

I hope i explained it well.

And the noise you have under your teapot is there because you enabled caustics in your glass material. The word "Slow" next to caustic checkbox is there for a reason ;)
« Last Edit: 2015-05-31, 23:26:50 by Rawalanche »

2015-06-01, 14:08:29
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You are not only using DoF, but also motion blur - I believe this adds some extra render time. You are also using Corona sun and no skylight. This may also add some noise as there is a huge difference between bright and dark parts of the scene. Disabling caustics slightly reduces noise too. I am checking the scene right now so I will inform you if there are any useful observations.

2015-06-01, 17:13:22
Reply #5

danielmn

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just reall fast I saw some of you materials are using 100% reflections and pure whites.

This can cause a lot of unwanted noise and time to resolve
Daniel M. Najera
3D Enviroment Artist
danielmn81@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.m.najera1

2015-06-01, 21:12:19
Reply #6

DjordjeIlic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thaks Rawalanche,

yes,yes...Maru told me about that sample for corners...Thanks again.
I tried to set default and set GIvsAA to 4  and disable caustic ,but nothing:(
Noise still here...Maybe little better ,but not clean!
render time is 30min about 300passes

next render is 1hour little bit better noise

After that I listened Maru's advice and add corona sky,and disable motion blur...
30min  without changes:( ,buy the way lighting is fantastic!Corona is really,really good!

and finally I tried to delete walls and hit the render...
30min 226passes
very clean image without noise!I'm very happy about that

It seems that Corona doesn't like low light situations...

2015-06-01, 21:14:27
Reply #7

DjordjeIlic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just reall fast I saw some of you materials are using 100% reflections and pure whites.

This can cause a lot of unwanted noise and time to resolve

Do you have solution for that?
Thanks

2015-06-02, 00:56:15
Reply #8

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can do 1 of 2 things: Set Reflection level to 0,98, or turn down the White color to 248,248,248 (anything lower than 255,255,255).

2015-06-02, 11:57:00
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You can do 1 of 2 things: Set Reflection level to 0,98, or turn down the White color to 248,248,248 (anything lower than 255,255,255).
This shouldn't be a problem, especially if fresnel IOR is set to some low value.

It's noisy because it's a problematic scene - small windows, high contrast = GI problems + DOF + MB. You need a lot of GI and AA samples here. The biggest problems are with DOF/AA sampling on glass/metal (because it's excessive) and sunlight bounces. I would say this kind of scene simply needs a lot of time to refine. I tried optimizing it yesterday, used buckets but the result was "acceptable" after about 1h. Still there was some noise on the glass teapot. So my advise would be to change lighting, change materials, set dof and mb to acceptable minimum.

2015-06-03, 09:54:26
Reply #10

DjordjeIlic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This shouldn't be a problem, especially if fresnel IOR is set to some low value.

It's noisy because it's a problematic scene - small windows, high contrast = GI problems + DOF + MB. You need a lot of GI and AA samples here. The biggest problems are with DOF/AA sampling on glass/metal (because it's excessive) and sunlight bounces. I would say this kind of scene simply needs a lot of time to refine. I tried optimizing it yesterday, used buckets but the result was "acceptable" after about 1h. Still there was some noise on the glass teapot. So my advise would be to change lighting, change materials, set dof and mb to acceptable minimum.

Maru thanks for you time!I too think so.
Thanks again:)