Author Topic: Rendering an animation - Lock Sampling Pattern on? 4k 2ndary Solver? Corona HQ?  (Read 1658 times)

2022-07-25, 03:18:48

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
Hey all,

I'm rendering out an animation, which has moving cameras and objects, its an interior scene with lots of natural light.

In order to have no flickering would it be best to have the "lock sampling pattern" left on, and is the 4k Secondary Solver appropriate for this scenario...
And lastly does the Corona HQ denoiser produce the best denoising result?

I'm rendering my frames to 3% noise level limit.

As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
,Luke.

2022-08-26, 15:55:20
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay, but maybe it still helps (you or some other users).

I'm rendering out an animation, which has moving cameras and objects, its an interior scene with lots of natural light.
In this case it will be best to use the UHD Cache with "animation (flicker-free)" preset and have the cache calculate from scratch for each frame.
See: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528617365649

In order to have no flickering would it be best to have the "lock sampling pattern" left on
"Lock sampling pattern" only affects the pattern created by the noise for each rendered frame.
It should be on if you are rendering an animation and do not intend to use denoising, or if you are using one of denoisers in Corona.
It should be off if you are rendering an animation and you are planning to use a 3rd party denoiser which expects noise pattern changing for each frame.

and is the 4k Secondary Solver appropriate for this scenario
The 4K Cache solver is experimental. You can try it, but if you want to be 100% safe it is definitely better to use the UHD Cache.

And lastly does the Corona HQ denoiser produce the best denoising result?
Generally, yes, but:
- "best" is subjective
- the HQ denoiser treats bump maps in a special way so if you have a scene with a lot of noise and materials with bump maps (e.g. walls) you may end up with noisy result, even after denoising
- personally (but this is just an opinion) I would recommend using the Intel denoiser with animations - it offers good speed/quality ratio and produces quite consistent results between frames
- it is best to save beauty without denoising and with denoising (you can add a CShading_Beauty render element for this and disable denoising for it). This way you get the denoised frames, but also the original noisy frames in case denoising did not work as well as you would like it to. You can then take the noisy frames and try some other denoising methods, e.g. in other apps.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us