Author Topic: Adding grunge map over several individual objects  (Read 2413 times)

2022-07-11, 23:12:37

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I’ve got some individual floor tiles that I’ve texture using multishader.  I now want to add a consistent layer of grunge/dirt over the entire floor to add realism.  Keeping in mind that these are individual objects, what is the best way to achieve this?  Thanks in advance, Kevin

2022-07-12, 02:50:34
Reply #1

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good time to try the new Decal Object.

2022-07-12, 17:29:12
Reply #2

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Al - thanks for the reply.  I've been trying the decal over the multishader floor and Corona crashes.  How would this have been done prior to the introduction of decals?

2022-07-12, 18:50:44
Reply #3

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
C4D has always had the ability to stack materials and mix them, either in the object manager or using a Layer shader. Corona is having issues with stacked materials in the Object Manager so I'd avoid that.

So with the Multishader, you have created several different versions of each type of tile I'm guessing. In that case, you should be able to add the Layer Shader and stack a grunge map in there. Curious what your setup looks like. I'm going to try on my end to see if I can get something going. Haven't used Corona's Multishader yet though.

2022-07-14, 13:42:46
Reply #4

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Al - sorry for the late reply.  I'm not getting notifications for some reason.  The set up is simple.  I have several individual square tile objects with a multishader material assigned to each.  The multishader is comprised of three different marble bitmaps.  I don't see how the layer material can be of any use as the U and V bitmap position has been randomized for each tile.  This would make the grunge map erratic too.

2022-07-15, 21:42:32
Reply #5

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah I see what you mean. Curious that your scene crashes with the Decal Object. I am able to achieve this effect with the Decal.

2022-07-16, 13:30:50
Reply #6

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Before Decals came along I would take your floor object(s) and duplicate it, make it one object (Connect and Delete), remove the existing material(s) and add a grunge material with transparency. Maybe float it .001 on the Y axis above the existing floor depending on if any displacement is used.

2022-07-25, 23:21:15
Reply #7

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good suggestion.  Thanks!