Author Topic: Corona for Apple Silicon M1?  (Read 36670 times)

2021-12-16, 08:59:54
Reply #30

runx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A comparison between Native and Rosetta Mode would be super useful. thx

2021-12-16, 12:26:30
Reply #31

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just rendered this on my macbook air m1 with 16Gb. After a minute or so you have a decent image to work with but this image up to SL16 at 3600x3600 took about 6 hours.
C4D R25, V8, Graswald assets, Surfacespread by Laubwerk.
Its not more than one spline modifyer and two planes with the about 8 assets scattered. The gravel is by RD textures.

I would love to see Corona scattering provide the same functionality that Graswald managed to provide for Blender. It almost makes me join the Blender crowd.

2021-12-16, 13:59:48
Reply #32

rafaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
that is a nice comparisson, Max 8 min and i9 5 min! the 8 min time is running native or rosetta? I was expecting a better results than the i9  if it was runing native m1 :(

2021-12-16, 18:27:13
Reply #33

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just rendered this on my macbook air m1 with 16Gb. After a minute or so you have a decent image to work with but this image up to SL16 at 3600x3600 took about 6 hours.

6 Hours! Blimey! I've never had anything in Corona take that long. I regulary render out 10000x10000 images on my mini M1 and they take about 1.5 hrs. An image like yours at that size on my 64Gb Macbook with the M1 Max would probably take 10-15 mins... I always use pass limit of 12 and Corona high quality denoise of 0.5.. Even the 16Gb mini would only take 15-20mins tops I'd guess.
I'm doing scenes with tons of Laubwerk & Forester trees and plants and I've never ever had to wait more than an hour for a 6000x4000 image.

2021-12-17, 12:19:39
Reply #34

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just start render and go to bed.  This was about 6 hours the next morning. I never use denoise. But in about a 5 to 10 min. these exterior images looks good already. But depending on the amount of vegetation and different instances render times can differ a lot.
I notice though that when you postproces images that have rendered a long time its a lot easier. Most final images I use have sl's of about 200 to 300.

Graswald assets are actually much more detailed than anything from Laubewerk or forester.

I would say all my images need memory swapping which doesn't help either. Good to know the m1max 64Gb is working well for you. I hope spring will bring a new mac with 128Gb.

2021-12-17, 17:18:48
Reply #35

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info about Graswald. I'm looking into them now :-)

Also, forgove my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'SL' ?

Cheers

2021-12-18, 02:02:44
Reply #36

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
SL ? Sampling level. I am not sure its named the same in Coronarender but that's how we used to call the number of passes in Maxwellrender.

Graswald is incredible, really at a different level. I am afraid a lot of Archviz people will have a much more serious look at Blender because of Graswald.
If this is the direction Blender is taking it will gain a huge archviz crowd over the next years. Coronarender should as well have a good look at what they can do to obtain the same level of UI for scattering vegetation. I am a asset tester for Graswald. Only problem is for now its all legacy materials for C4D/Corona. Converting these is not optimal. Especially the transpacies are not as good. I find it difficult to get good leaf physically based materials Coronarender. Usually it all gets too dark or hardly transparant.

For those who would like to stay at Apple's side Coronarender & C4D are still the best option I think. Redshift is not all that faster and for Octane I have not seen any proper reviews on the m1.

2021-12-18, 11:39:46
Reply #37

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was blown away by how nice Graswald looked and so cheap! I bought the whole asset pack!

Yeah, Redshift is not so fast even on M1 and personally I don't think it looks as good as Corona. Octane is probably fast but again, it looks cold and heartless compared to Corona. Cycles is coming to M1 via the new metal backend but when I downloaded the recent Blender Alpha and tried it it wasn't that much faster than Corona and again, not as nice. The only good competition is V-Ray, which is way too expensive once you look at render nodes and Arnold, which is not M1 optimised and doesn't look like it will be any time soon

2021-12-24, 23:04:38
Reply #38

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I got a Macbook M1 max 64Gb for a few hours and I must say that Corona runs very well on this system. Much faster than my iMac late 2015. So much faster that it feels like a whole new world for me. Adjusting light settings and so on in real time interactively.

It runs so well that I have for now postponed my plans to go PC.  I also checked Redshift but the preview render window looked a lot less inspiring although very fast really, almost instant.

On Graswald, its better to start a new thread on their assets. I got the new asset library today, here is a very quick render I made just now. I had to get some textures settings changed. Especially the transparency settings. I also converted the materials to Physical materials for this image. I am sure Graswald will update the assets.

2022-01-30, 09:24:00
Reply #39

haffy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any updates in performance?

2022-02-02, 13:41:28
Reply #40

quatrosolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
From personal testing comparing:
iMac 2017 (64gb ram) / Macbook Pro m1 max (64gb)

I tested a few interior scenes (archviz) @4k resolution
Final render times were decreased to about 60-65% of the time,
effectively an image that required approx. 60 minutes would now be rendered in ±35-40 minutes.

Ipr feels a lot faster and especially the material preview.
Render seem to starts a lot faster as well.

* intel ai denoiser was seemingly a bti slower although I did not make an actual meaasurement and I guess it makes sense, not sure if ither denoiser options should work better with m1 processors.

Congrats to corona team for making such a stable and fast native app, great job!

2022-02-07, 04:43:39
Reply #41

rkeeping

• Users
    • View Profile
From what I understand v 8 is not a Native version for M1, yet but pleased to see that they have version that runs OK. I am assuming it runs under Rosetta then- still unsure how they will do 'denoising' it certainly won't be by 'Intel'.

2022-02-07, 10:42:52
Reply #42

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
C4D and Corona v8 run natively on my MacBook m1. No need for Rosetta.

2022-02-07, 13:15:48
Reply #43

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
8 is native for M1:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=34088.msg191841#msg191841

"
Added native support for Apple M1 processors
supported for Cinema 4D S24 and R25
provided installer installs universal version of Corona that can run both on Intel and M1 devices
based on our tests, running native version results in 45-50% faster rendering compared to running under Rosetta
in case Cinema 4D was previously set to run under Rosetta with previous versions of Corona, don't forget to disable Rosetta in Cinema 4D application properties
"
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-02-07, 13:17:17
Reply #44

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, Intel denoising does not require an Intel CPU, that is just the name of who made the denoiser, not what it runs on (unlike the NVIDIA AI denoiser which was both created by NVIDIA and DOES require an NVIDIA GPU). That said, I don't have an M1 processor, so can't say whether or not that denoiser runs, but I don't see why not (it runs on my AMD machine just fine ;) )

EDIT - and of course there is always the Corona High Quality Denoiser too, anyway.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us