Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520018 times)

2022-08-05, 16:41:43
Reply #1380

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yep, the prices are a bitter pill to swallow. The "pro" tag on the Threadrippers seems to add $2k-$3k to the price for very little benefit, to our line of work at least, as far as I can tell. What would make you pull the trigger on a new system?

2022-08-09, 21:26:05
Reply #1381

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
for very little benefit, to our line of work at least

Concretely in terms of Corona rendering, 0 benefit :- ). There is almost no workstation task that would benefit from 8-channel memory setup and very few benefit from registered memory.
Contrary to popular belief, ECC won't bring any "stability" to the overall use.

The price sucks but it is what it is.. creators were already used to paying such amount back when only Dual-Xeon builds offered any kind of performance advantage.

If you're on 3rd-gen Threadripper like me, there is no point to upgrade. But if you're looking to buy new, well, there is no alternative at all so this is the only thing you can do.
There won't be any competition for it at least for next 6, possibly 12 months..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-08-09, 22:00:59
Reply #1382

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah this is so disappointing, back to the days of the Intel dominance where we get barely any improvement for way more money.  I wish Corona was more open minded to GPU, CPU doesn't seem to be going anywhere for a long while in the better performance department.  Just look how long it's been to get from 3990x to 5995wx performance. Meanwhile GPU 40 series might double or more there performance AGAIN this year.

2022-08-10, 15:39:25
Reply #1383

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm hoping the PBO option with the 5995WX is going to push the gains in corona a little more than what toms HW found. From that YT video I posted last week Ian saw around a 35% increase in cinebench with PBO as opposed to 21% without PBO.

I still completely agree that the lack of competition from Intel is making AMD complacent and we're left carrying the can. Here's hoping Intel come back with something credible for us in the not too distant future, although I agree with Juraj, that there doesn't appear to be anything coming along soon.

2022-08-10, 15:49:05
Reply #1384

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For those with a TR 3rd gen, do you think the single threaded performance is at par with Ryzen 9 either 3950X or 5950X?

Because just by looking at the charts above one wouldn't be able to see the whole picture really; for a workstation at least.

EDIT: I've been feeling a huge bottleneck in single threaded for quite a while actually. So frustrating.

2022-08-10, 16:30:13
Reply #1385

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
YI wish Corona was more open minded to GPU, CPU doesn't seem to be going anywhere for a long while in the better performance department.

This. I've been so tempted to jump into the FStorm boat just because of the GPU thing. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Corona, but getting new CPU nodes is so pricy.

2022-08-10, 16:55:40
Reply #1386

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Here's hoping Intel come back with something credible for us in the not too distant future, although I agree with Juraj, that there doesn't appear to be anything coming along soon.

No need to hope, it's simply not coming :- ) Unfortunately they hit some hardware isssues: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/87720/intel-xeon-sapphire-rapids-massive-delay-an-entire-year-and-some/index.html

For those with a TR 3rd gen, do you think the single threaded performance is at par with Ryzen 9 either 3950X or 5950X?

3990X doesn't lack behind 3950X in single-thread, it does behind 5950X and 12th & 13th Intel gen.

The fastest workstation right now for me is my laptop, and soon I'll have 12th-gen Intel HX laptop and I expect that to be massively smoother experience.

YI wish Corona was more open minded to GPU, CPU doesn't seem to be going anywhere for a long while in the better performance department.

This. I've been so tempted to jump into the FStorm boat just because of the GPU thing. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Corona, but getting new CPU nodes is so pricy.

I agree too, at some point GPU will be inevitable, just look at how crazy good and fast ray-tracing can be in nVidia Omniverse studio or Unreal 5 path-tracer.
It looks like a very interesting workflow.

My job is still only stills :- ) And with utmost focus on overkill detail I hardly have patience to manage the weird integration of F-Storm or the missing features of Vray GPU. Corona is comfort.
But if my focus was bit more flexible, I would be seriously looking at those alternatives.

Thankfully for me rendering speed is not exactly a limiting factor, I am :- /
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2022-08-12, 08:29:25
Reply #1387

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey @Juraj -  what laptop do you have that is so powerful?

Here's hoping Intel come back with something credible for us in the not too distant future, although I agree with Juraj, that there doesn't appear to be anything coming along soon.

No need to hope, it's simply not coming :- ) Unfortunately they hit some hardware isssues: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/87720/intel-xeon-sapphire-rapids-massive-delay-an-entire-year-and-some/index.html

3990X doesn't lack behind 3950X in single-thread, it does behind 5950X and 12th & 13th Intel gen.

The fastest workstation right now for me is my laptop, and soon I'll have 12th-gen Intel HX laptop and I expect that to be massively smoother experience.

I agree too, at some point GPU will be inevitable, just look at how crazy good and fast ray-tracing can be in nVidia Omniverse studio or Unreal 5 path-tracer.
It looks like a very interesting workflow.

My job is still only stills :- ) And with utmost focus on overkill detail I hardly have patience to manage the weird integration of F-Storm or the missing features of Vray GPU. Corona is comfort.
But if my focus was bit more flexible, I would be seriously looking at those alternatives.

Thankfully for me rendering speed is not exactly a limiting factor, I am :- /

2022-08-12, 08:37:40
Reply #1388

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's just 11th-gen Intel Razer 17, it's the single-core performance that makes it feel so nice. Of course, there is absolutely not much to talk about in terms of multi-thread, can't render shit on that CPU of course :- ).
In September I'll get 12th gen HX-based Dell Precision from Intel which will finally be a laptop with great multi-threaded performance.

I know some OEMs put desktop 3950X into CLEVO chassis with 65W ECO mode but that just wasn't good package.

2022-08-12, 08:52:25
Reply #1389

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So you use it just for modeling then and scene setups??  im thinking of getting something for when i go away on holidays or when i want to work outside :)
Is there a way to get this to send the scenes to your local network to do the renderings?  (in my case a 3970x)?

It's just 11th-gen Intel Razer 17, it's the single-core performance that makes it feel so nice. Of course, there is absolutely not much to talk about in terms of multi-thread, can't render shit on that CPU of course :- ).
In September I'll get 12th gen HX-based Dell Precision from Intel which will finally be a laptop with great multi-threaded performance.

I know some OEMs put desktop 3950X into CLEVO chassis with 65W ECO mode but that just wasn't good package.

2022-08-12, 12:23:16
Reply #1390

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yup, I send my scenes to render at home through TeamViewer bar sufficient internet connection.

Finals that is, for previews, I find that Denoising + UpScaling (Topaz) does the trick :- ).

2022-08-12, 12:49:01
Reply #1391

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good to know - so you zip the scenes and send it?  what about your libraries and maps?  you keep them on your local laptop?

Yup, I send my scenes to render at home through TeamViewer bar sufficient internet connection.

Finals that is, for previews, I find that Denoising + UpScaling (Topaz) does the trick :- ).

2022-08-12, 15:37:21
Reply #1392

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Good to know - so you zip the scenes and send it?  what about your libraries and maps?  you keep them on your local laptop?

I send the scene only, my laptop has (internal + external drives) identical file structure and I use FreeFileSync to synchronize those structures.

It's bit more hassle (and requires some investment in drives) but has many benefits: fast file access on any machine (since everything is local), can work anywhere even with poor or no internet.
It's easy in small studios, but it can scale to bigger studios too with bit more advanced synchronizing options. I presume those studios must have adopted something similar during lockdowns? Can't believe they would work from cloud or keep zipping every scene.

2022-08-30, 23:37:56
Reply #1393

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-08-30, 23:56:30
Reply #1394

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Only 16 cores. Is that any good for Corona?