Author Topic: Beautiful Computer Generated Images II. - Tropical Garden  (Read 12650 times)

2017-04-05, 13:25:25

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
So guys here is the second project from the collection :) Below is the description, on the Behance there are also models to download and high-res pictures (as usually).

Beautiful Computer Generated Images is a collection of Seven projects, collection of seven Manifests, where every piece is an intersection of Technology and Art. It depicts imaginary places, imaginary objects where every element is arranged to create beautiful Composition and where photorealistic simulations are enriched and elevated by Custom color mapping to craft a piece formed by true Art.
Manifests purpose is to show what I truly consider beautiful, what I am passionate about and what I love. Showing passion in CGI, passion in Composition, passion in Simplicity, Light, custom Colors, passion in bending image within a Purpose, in adjusting piece with an Abstract elements, all elevated by Custom Color Mapping to form something Unseen, something New and very Artistic.
Projects have been developed for 8 months, working solely on the projects, between 2016 and 2017 and are periodically released every three weeks. After all seven have been released, there is going to be a book stitching all the pieces together.

Everything is custom made - from scratch - models, materials.
I welcome to watch the second one.

II. Tropical Garden
Tropical Garden is an imaginary backyard space where contemporary concrete surfaces are contrasted by tropical nature. It depicts Beauty in nothing but Tropical Plants. Passion in contrast between materials Concrete and Tropical Greens. Beauty in Tropical Colors, shifted Hues and bended reality uptill the level of Abstraction.
Project has been rendered in beautiful Corona rendering engine. All plants are modeled from scratch using SpeedTree and using custom repainted and adjusted Quixel Megascans atlasses. Other modeling was done in 3Ds Max, edges deformation with DeformEdges script. Models to download on Behance. Plants have real thickness to them.

Inspiration credits: Rees Roberts + Partners, Island State Co.

Upcoming Manifest - III. Above Wood - 26.4.2017

Models do download

2017-04-05, 14:38:22
Reply #1

dartofang

• Active Users
  • @archviztutorial
    • View Profile
very lovely images, very refreshing to the eye..
just curious what happened to those plants on the left looks like there  merging.

2017-04-05, 15:56:22
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
2_TropicalGarden_JakubCech.jpg - the leaves are just perfect!

The only things I would note, which don't affect the overall impression anyway, are:
-some leaves intersecting with each other/with ground can be spotted
-displacement on the ground seems to be a bit too intensive for subtle grain - looks more like spikes
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-04-05, 17:02:09
Reply #3

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Speachless.... oO
Would definitely watch a tutorial on your leaf approach!
Thanks for posting those :)

2017-04-05, 17:55:14
Reply #4

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Jakub, I rarely wait for artists to release the next set in their "collections" but I have been really waiting for yours... The first one was amazing! Not my style per say but really amazing work and this second one is a great continuation - Awesome job dude, really awesome job and I'm inspired like crazy!

Now, I really don't like to nitpick but since I think we post here for criticism as well... The mapping on that third image, on the curb, is a little off :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-04-05, 20:22:05
Reply #5

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just great, I love this slightly morbid atmosphere. It could definitely be the well colored version of the movie "last year at marienbad".
I look forward to your next great piece of art. Always a delight!

2017-04-05, 21:17:35
Reply #6

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very nice. Love your work. Also love how you give some of it away for free!

2017-04-06, 08:35:50
Reply #7

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Hey guys thank you for all the beautiful feedback, I can not be hapier! wow :) Thank you!!
very lovely images, very refreshing to the eye..
just curious what happened to those plants on the left looks like there  merging.
Thank you! Can you point me where?
2_TropicalGarden_JakubCech.jpg - the leaves are just perfect!
The only things I would note, which don't affect the overall impression anyway, are:
-some leaves intersecting with each other/with ground can be spotted
-displacement on the ground seems to be a bit too intensive for subtle grain - looks more like spikes
Thank you! Great eye, I have missed these elements, thank you for pointing me on those!
Speachless.... oO
Would definitely watch a tutorial on your leaf approach!
Thanks for posting those :)
Wow, thank you!! Haha thank you! Actually working in the foliage with the Quixel Megascans Atlasses was way more complex than I thought. So much cutting, rotating and adjusting of the atlasses and then SpeedTree with those undistigushable parametres (no colors or any icons doh). All in all there is also this real thickness on the leaves - what I have been missing for a long time in CG overally and was super tricky to do, and maybe I did not make a very good approach - its visible what I did in the downloadable banana tree model, and would definitely like to hear if somebody know any better way of making leaves have real thickness. Noting down your request for tutorial, thank you.
Jakub, I rarely wait for artists to release the next set in their "collections" but I have been really waiting for yours... The first one was amazing! Not my style per say but really amazing work and this second one is a great continuation - Awesome job dude, really awesome job and I'm inspired like crazy!
Now, I really don't like to nitpick but since I think we post here for criticism as well... The mapping on that third image, on the curb, is a little off :)
Ohh this is huge compliment, thank you soso much! :) I can not be more happy to read something like this, will do my best, I am so happy you are inspired. Regarding the curb, great eye, I missed it, thank you.
Just great, I love this slightly morbid atmosphere. It could definitely be the well colored version of the movie "last year at marienbad".
I look forward to your next great piece of art. Always a delight!
Wow thank you! Morbidity was not really my point but, if you like it, great anyway haha! Thank you again.
Very nice. Love your work. Also love how you give some of it away for free!
And will continue to do, in the upcoming Above Wood there is going to be custom photographed/textured Wood Edge Table shared - photographed in Chicago http://www.liveedgechicago.com/.

2017-04-06, 12:51:15
Reply #8

Raman_Tarasenka

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
Looks great!
I created an lowpoly model for plants from Mega Scans for thickness and close angles. But your plane sheets look great! They saved a lot of time without modeling the model =)
My name is Raman Tarasenka and I’m 23 years old
CGI guy...

2017-04-07, 10:37:24
Reply #9

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Great work with the vegetation.

Did you use thickness for all the leafs?

And finally someone that uses Speedtree.

2017-04-07, 21:31:31
Reply #10

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Hi Looks great!
I created an lowpoly model for plants from Mega Scans for thickness and close angles. But your plane sheets look great! They saved a lot of time without modeling the model =)
Thank you! :) Well haha well yes, but this approach does not work from total closeup and is very scale dependent - if you scale the model, you need to change the values in the material etc.. I would be very interested if there is any technological possibility of implementing something like automatic real thickness via material editor? Something like automatically duplicate produced displaced geometry, offset it, connect borders and refine edges? I would be pretty interested in such option, maybe it would be tricky to implement, but another addition to realism and detail is always welcome, I think. So +1 from me! Get on board as well haha.
Great work with the vegetation.
Did you use thickness for all the leafs?
And finally someone that uses Speedtree.
Thank you so much! Well there are 3 types of thickness I produced - 1. Real thickness - two planes stitched together 2. fake thickness - one plane that had only curved edges down (works good for from above view). 3. No thickness. Whole project is a mix of these three types. I would say like 30%/40%/30% ratio haha. And regarding speedtree - yes! I actually made a little review of vegetation generation software and was deciding between SpeedTree/GrowFX/PlantFactory and after watching videos decided for SpeedTree which is so beautiful, very lovely, just like Marvelous Designer. But I miss one thing so so much in SpeedTree - icons and color to distinguish parametres. Its like 200 parametres names on one place without any eye-capturing points which made me looking for particular parameter so long.

2017-04-08, 00:05:03
Reply #11

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I think I will start doing the same. At the moment I am modeling leafs(with different bends and twist modifiers) and scattered them using SpeedTree or Particle Flow, but then I think the thickness could work quite well for some Palm trees that I did. Do you apply a shell modifier or do you  do that manually?

SpeedTree is very easy to use and learn. Personally what I do to make it easier to see the parameters is to select each individual tab, like Gen, Spine, Branch instead of using the All tab and scroll down. At least for me it helps me to keep track of what I am doing and also you start to learn what each tab does. I really need to find time to finish my trees. Do you use SpeedTree for smaller plants, like bushes etc? I wonder if GrowFx is a better solution for smaller plants.

2017-04-08, 13:43:21
Reply #12

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Well I still think bending and twisting geometry is needed, plane sheets usually dont work, but real thickness would save time anyway because those twisted and bended geometry could be plane sheets only, not modelled leaves.
My way of how I did the thickness is, that I blurred opacity map and used that to bend edges in displacement map. this provided one half of the leaf, and then I used shell modifier and reversed normal of the other side and applied the same material - and viola, leaf with real thickness is done. Its a bit more comples but you can inspect the provded banana tree material anyway.
I used SpeedTree here only but I think you can create whatever you can imagine in there :)

Anyway, I created a Feature request for the real thickness implementation into Corona here https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,15639.0.html.
Feel free to add your +1.