Author Topic: Fasano Shore Club by Isay Weinfeld  (Read 5831 times)

2016-12-15, 11:09:21

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
I was honored to collaborate again with this beautiful company Watson&Company. It was a great pleasure working for such a great people. Renderings are inspired by crops from a great photographer Sebastian Weiss. Leading rendering was rendered in 27K resolution and is presented on a huge board in Miami.
Full campaign by Watson&Company here.
Computer Generated Images below by Jakub Čech.
I used my signature, my custom post color mapping to drive colors.
Rendered with beautiful Corona rendering engine.
Commercial project. Shore Club, Miami.
Full size pictures available via Behance here.

Photo of the book showcasing renderings.

Here some of the campaign photos. Super proud to see my renderings in such a beautiful piece of art by W&Co. All credits to W&Co, thank you.

Thank you for watching, I appreciate feedback a lot.

2016-12-15, 14:19:10
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The architecture is very simple, but it looks awesome thanks to perfect lighting and materials. What else can be said here? Great work Jakub, as usual! :)
I am just curious about the 27K render. Were there any problems with it? How did you render it? Was it a single super powerful PC, or a farm? Rendering with strips?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-12-15, 14:27:54
Reply #2

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
These are awesome! Absolutely perfect tone and colours - I had a look through your behance and all of your projects have a really great photographic quality to them. Can you elaborate a bit on the custom post colour mapping you mentioned?
Vray who?

2016-12-16, 10:31:45
Reply #3

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Hey guys thank you very much for the compliments! I know renderings are very simple and so architecture, so I wanted to share it as in the end I found it having beautiful atmosphere alongside campaign and felt I wanted to share though I have not though there would be so much feedback as its pretty simple :) Thank you!
Regarding 27K resolution - I rendered traditionaly with the strips, I think 3-4 of them fit into my 64GB ram. However there was a problem applying my custom color maping as that was limited to 8K at the time (because of software restrictions) so I had to apply on every strip solely etc. But overally this was pretty easy with the strips to do in 27K - so no problem at all using just my single workstation for 2 nights I think. Regarding high resolution, there is one crazier res I had to make at a time - have a look at attached renering - this was rendered in 37K using Rebus renderfarm using 6 strips each barely fitting 64GB ram with a lot of photoshoping afterwards, this was a nightmare! And another problem was that it was not mine - W&Co hired Artem Trigubchak to make it and had some issues so had to finish lots of things. So if you have spare 500 dollar Corona is capable of 37K haha!
Regarding mapping I would not like to be very specific as for me its like a Coca Cola formula but I can say that I have been polishing and developing it for a few years now and finally have it in a compact, everytime to use form. Its based on post processing raw 32bit linear imige using software emluation of some of the real photographic process. Complicated stuff easyly - save in linear 32bit, apply some processes (like bleach bypass etc., but precisely) is the core.
2 Years ago I managed to bake it into the LUT and used VFB+ for a long time but finally Corona comes with the LUT thanks god :)

Jakub
« Last Edit: 2016-12-16, 10:36:08 by JakubCech »

2016-12-16, 14:16:56
Reply #4

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Regarding mapping I would not like to be very specific as for me its like a Coca Cola formula but I can say that I have been polishing and developing it for a few years now and finally have it in a compact, everytime to use form. Its based on post processing raw 32bit linear imige using software emluation of some of the real photographic process. Complicated stuff easyly - save in linear 32bit, apply some processes (like bleach bypass etc., but precisely) is the core.
2 Years ago I managed to bake it into the LUT and used VFB+ for a long time but finally Corona comes with the LUT thanks god :)

Jakub

Thanks for the explanation, so essentially you're emulating the analogue photographic process on a fully linear image (no highlight compression or tone mapping in Corona?). I've always thought that this was a major area that was left overlooked in render engines. From my own tests I think F-Storm has the most "analogue" feel out of the box with the way it handles tone mapping/colours.
Vray who?

2016-12-16, 18:27:13
Reply #5

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Well I used not to use any highligh compression (well for the preview purposes only) but now when there is this new filmic highlight compression and filmic shadow I tend to use those alongside my LUT. And totally agree about the overlooking of this area - I have always been obsessed with it and think its a key point. And again totally agree about FStorm - at least from what I have seen so far. Now I think color mapping is totally nailed for interiors (by using LUTs, etc.) in Corona and FStorm but still I have a feeling some tonemapping tweaks need to be done for exteriors to look gorgeous out of the box. And one more thing that was a very key for this recent transition to a more great looking renders - BFDR - ggx is really kickass - no need to assemble some materials so difficultly.