Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520124 times)

2020-10-30, 10:50:00
Reply #1200

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As was stated 100 times, it's always Noctua NH-U14S indeed :- ). We might get bigger TR-compatible D15 and U12A somewhere in 2021 but who knows.

Ive said a couple of times but if anyone wants to make a list of recommended parts ill edit the first post and include it.

2020-11-04, 10:43:26
Reply #1201

JARS

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello Guys.

Anyone working with the 3990X. I am thinking and weighing if it could be a good investment. Any advice welcome. Thanks

2020-11-04, 12:15:08
Reply #1202

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
in my opinion 3990x a bit overpriced right now if we compare with 3970x price.

2020-11-04, 13:25:05
Reply #1203

JARS

• Users
    • View Profile
It is double the price, for theoretically double of the power.

Although I am not expecting precisely, the double of the power between each other. In my expectations I could hope to see, 60-65% improvement (3970 to 3990), but if we talk about a more industrial point of view, having the necessity of completing several images per day, that might be the reason for.

Thanks for the comment, brings up different questions and point of views.

2020-11-05, 12:35:02
Reply #1204

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I still consider it good value. Next Threadripper probably won't arrive before start of January (if even that, Zen3 Ryzen was postponed by half a year).

It's possible that the moment Zen3 Threadrippers are at least announced, the price of current gen will go down.  Not sure if there are even rumours of such announcement though..

Ultimately, all depends on your budget and how quick you can recuperate the cost, as is with most business expenses.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-11-05, 14:44:55
Reply #1205

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Finished my new build today. Found out that the Noctua UH-D15 on the ROG Strix x570 board looks gigantic and the I/O cover gets in the way of the fan and has to be mounted higher up the heatsink because of its sheer size. It also covers over one of the ram slots. So much for spending the extra $20 on Vengence RGB haha

2020-11-05, 15:27:16
Reply #1206

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Here is my ROG Strix-E X570 and Noctua NH-D15, I just don't remember if it's the old version or S-version, I can't see it from any angle of my photos.

There is no occlusion of IO, but I do use low-profile memory kit (Vengeance LPX here). With that said.. D15/D15S doesn't even need that second fan, the performance is almost the same with just the middle fan.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-11-05, 18:51:49
Reply #1207

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is my ROG Strix-E X570 and Noctua NH-D15, I just don't remember if it's the old version or S-version, I can't see it from any angle of my photos.

There is no occlusion of IO, but I do use low-profile memory kit (Vengeance LPX here). With that said.. D15/D15S doesn't even need that second fan, the performance is almost the same with just the middle fan.

Yeah basically id rather have seen the rgb ram i paid for so the second fan is on the back side.

2020-11-10, 20:30:53
Reply #1208

skiny75

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

I have bought the new workstation with the 3990X, I am using since 3 weeks. until now was ok. but from today, when I render many times he crash and restart.
I have the Noctua NH-U14S - Gigabyte TRX40 Designare.  128 Corsair Vengeance LPX  (4x32) RTX 2080 Super. 

Do you think that It can be because it's too hot?  How Can I check it? I see that in normal situation the speed is at 3.9Ghz. When I render, It goes to 2.9 at 64cores. 
I did not make any overclocking.

I would be really happy if somebody can help me to understand where it can be the problem. 
Thanks a lot in advance

2020-11-10, 20:39:50
Reply #1209

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
HWMonitor for detailed information on temperatures (CPU, individual cores, VRM, chipset and GPU, even SSDs) or even basic RyzenMaster for quick CPU temp.

The frequencies are ok, that's how turbo boost works. It's affected mainly by load (secondary by threads amount utilized).
It can be GPU driver as well if you are using Optix denoiser. The latest Ampere drivers are pretty fresh out of the box, with plenty of issues reported. Try Studio driver, it's more conservative.

Under normal conditions, 3990X should go up to 70C with U14S in well ventilated case and average room ambient (25).
It wouldn't crash if it was hot though. It would just downclock further, but like..a lot further.

Lastly, most common culprit, esp. if it crashes the whole Windows, not just software, could be memory due to unstable profile. Not sure what the particular XMP/DOCP settings are for your Vengeance kit.

2020-11-10, 22:47:37
Reply #1210

skiny75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
HWMonitor for detailed information on temperatures (CPU, individual cores, VRM, chipset and GPU, even SSDs) or even basic RyzenMaster for quick CPU temp.

The frequencies are ok, that's how turbo boost works. It's affected mainly by load (secondary by threads amount utilized).
It can be GPU driver as well if you are using Optix denoiser. The latest Ampere drivers are pretty fresh out of the box, with plenty of issues reported. Try Studio driver, it's more conservative.

Under normal conditions, 3990X should go up to 70C with U14S in well ventilated case and average room ambient (25).
It wouldn't crash if it was hot though. It would just downclock further, but like..a lot further.

Lastly, most common culprit, esp. if it crashes the whole Windows, not just software, could be memory due to unstable profile. Not sure what the particular XMP/DOCP settings are for your Vengeance kit.

Thanks a lot Juraj. I will try to fix it tomorrow.. I think it's a tecnical hardware problem, but I have a small doubt.
This morning I installed the Security Tools for Autodesk( i receive the email that they suggest to install it for the MAx 2021). In the afternoon, I start to have a problem Do you think that it can also be a reason?  Thanks

2020-11-11, 11:17:17
Reply #1211

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Could just be coincidence, it shouldn't affect runtime scenes. You can try to test it :- ).

2020-11-20, 11:15:44
Reply #1212

skiny75

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks a lot Juraj. I will try to fix it tomorrow.. I think it's a tecnical hardware problem, but I have a small doubt.
This morning I installed the Security Tools for Autodesk( i receive the email that they suggest to install it for the MAx 2021). In the afternoon, I start to have a problem Do you think that it can also be a reason?  Thanks

Hi Juraj.  I tried many options. I have updated GPU Studio driver, Windows 10 pro ( last update). Reset default Bios config.   The system still unstable.  I check in the Bios and I have the XMP Disabled.  System Memory speed  Auto . Infinity Fabric Frequency and Dividers Auto.   Shall I Activate the XMP ?  Thank you in advance.

2020-11-20, 11:34:23
Reply #1213

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
If you have XMP disabled, than it shouldn't be memory, but you can still run memcheck test to see if there are errors.

Did you check the temperatures? Particularly CPU & Motherboard VRM? What are the maximums?

What is your PSU?

2020-11-26, 16:30:06
Reply #1214

skiny75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj, 
Sorry, for the delay. 
Temperature of CPU was 65-70 and VRm of the motherboard 40 ( if i see correct ).
The IT guy where I bought, said that Windows 10 pro was corrupted. ( I think also Max 2021 had some issue). No issue in the hardware.
He reinstalled from zero, checked all driver compatibility(GPU) Bios Gigabyte updated.
Now it's working again (it's great)  and I cross the fingers.
Thanks a lot for the help and availability