Author Topic: Best way to make an alpha channel?  (Read 5100 times)

2014-02-12, 16:11:14

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Hi, im having some trouble with the foreground trees and the cut out dor the sky, i have tried the alhpa channel, wire color and so on.. but it cuts so much of the trees or too little , with the alpha some times cut some branches and it leaves the leafs flotating..
im using Ps , is there a good way to make it? do i have to make a mask with feather or something??

2014-05-24, 19:49:13
Reply #1

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Hi,

I've got something same problem. I have rendered the pics with just simple white background, and there I did not find away to cut out correctly in PS.
Where the leaves too dense, between those no chance to cut out normaly.

Did you solved the correct way?

Cheers!
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2014-05-24, 21:56:28
Reply #2

Adanmq

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Collective
Hi.
The best way is render using a black background, and use premult. I´m using Nuke, but works also in AE. But even if the alpha is perfect, you must use a "correct" background, if you end using a totally diferent background it wont look realistic.

hope this can help.

2014-05-24, 23:18:37
Reply #3

Adanmq

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Collective
In order to illustrate it i made a quick render. You must look at it at full res to view the diference.

Hope it helps you.

2014-05-25, 09:02:39
Reply #4

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My grain of sand...
In after effects you could use "remove color matting" effect. It has a option to select the rigth color.
We use it a lot to correct image sequences with wrong alphas and works remarkably well.
You would not belive the kinds of images with messed up alpha channel must fix at work.

I belive in photoshop there is something similar. Defringe, if i recall correctly but doesnt work as well as After effects one.

Copy pasta:
"Color matting occurs when the edge of an object within a transparent layer that contains a premultiplied RGB channel retains the color from its original background instead of blending partially transparent areas with the new background. This produces a halo, or "color matting," effect around the outside edge of objects. To remove this color matting effect, you'll need to use the "Remove Color Matting" option on the video channel.

I guess the magic term to search in google is "color matting", it took me a while to find out, now you know it in 10 seconds.

« Last Edit: 2014-05-25, 09:11:59 by borisquezadaa »
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-05-25, 11:18:42
Reply #5

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I use the defringe option in Photoshop for this too. It's under layer>matting>defringe. Usually 1 pixel is enough to get rid of the annoying alpha edges.