Author Topic: Is there a way to hide these face imperfections when rendering?  (Read 1711 times)

2018-11-30, 17:55:06

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
I'm trying to render this desk/kitchen island object, and I used the Deform Edges script to deform most of the edges. The deformation yields small imperfections on the faces which are then shaded in the rendering.

I'm trying to find a way to either deform the edges so they don't create these imperfections or tweak any setting if available that will mitigate these small shaded triangles.

I appreciate any help!

2018-11-30, 18:02:53
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can completely bypass any scripts (and leave your topology clean) by using Corona's RoundEdges Map in the bump slot (or even as Disiplacement). You can then use a map/texture for the radius parameter to make the edges appear irregular. It renders pretty fast and is definitely better and more flexible than using a script for this.

2018-11-30, 18:27:24
Reply #2

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
You can completely bypass any scripts (and leave your topology clean) by using Corona's RoundEdges Map in the bump slot (or even as Disiplacement). You can then use a map/texture for the radius parameter to make the edges appear irregular. It renders pretty fast and is definitely better and more flexible than using a script for this.

Thank you for your input! I wasn't aware that the RoundEdges component could be plugged into the displacement input. Does it have the same effect roughly?

2018-11-30, 18:30:45
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I haven't tried yet, but since it outputs a b/w result it can be used, I guess. Using it in the bump slot, and plying with maps for the radius, is good enough most of the time.

2018-11-30, 18:49:54
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hmm.... Since it is topology dependent, I don't think it can be used as displacement, but should be easy to test.

I think you should be able to get a result similar to your picture by using it in the bump slot with a noise map in the radius map.

2018-11-30, 19:43:07
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I also believe RoundEdges just like AO don't work properly as displacement. That would be super cool if it did though.

Anyway, geometric solution to your problem OP could be using inset (before or after, don't know how the script operates), similar how game artists use it to avoid smoothing group issues with chamfers.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-12-10, 16:27:51
Reply #6

dzintas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can subdivide or tessellate geometry before deforming edges, that way script has more geometry to work with.