Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519988 times)

2019-02-14, 21:53:13
Reply #270

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I dont plan on overclocking as ive never done it and obviously we need them to be stable. I might one day. I liked the system on the ASUS Prime with a hardware dial for overclocking that turned up to eleven haha

2019-02-14, 22:05:44
Reply #271

philipb

• Active Users
    • View Profile

With the new 'PBO system' its not really overclocking like it used to be, don't think there are any stability issues to worry about anymore. You just turn it on, and it will find the thermal capability of your cooling (enermax is good!) and take it up to that thermal limit safe and stable.

Honestly, if you don't turn on PBO you are just leaving money/power on the table. For the price you paid and the performance these chips are capable of getting an extra 15-20% out of your 2990WX is really not something you should pass up.

Check it out. You just get ryzen master and set the power limit, maybe 400-450 W. That's all. Thought you may need to point a fan at your VRM. I have a cheap ASUS 399-e board (got a deal) and since pointing a fan at the VRM I haven't had any issues running at 3.5-3.8 Ghz.

2019-02-15, 15:57:00
Reply #272

orion

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Aorus is clear winner against Zenith (vanilla version, as there is now also Zenith Alpha but it doesn't fit 4 GPUs for the same reasons MSI MEG doesn't, the VRM mosfets push the real estate away and it wouldn't fit into E-ATX format).

Aorus has better VRM and that is more important, you need to actively cool both with good air flow or hack some fan solution on top.

It's incredibly poor state of affairs that MSI MEG and ZENITH ALPHA didn't go for SSI board format as the E-ATX ended up crippling their GPU capability.
I asked for price and the MSI MEG X399 is cheaper in my country then the AORUS by almost 80dollars, do you know if we can use a PCI-E slit riser in the MSI MEG X399 to expand to  a quad GPU Setup?
The VRM can be safe on a 4ghz overclock or 4.1GHZ( 2990wx ) in an AORUS xtreme and NOCTUA fans for air cooling the case ?

2019-02-15, 16:21:23
Reply #273

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
4.0-4.1 would be pushing it, but you don't mention what CPU cooler would be or how you would intend to cool the VRM. Have a look at Peter Sanitra build in this thread.

Yeah you can use risers believe, but if you opt for 4x2080(Ti), you will have to use two risers as the NVLink bridge is hardpiece.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-02-18, 14:31:23
Reply #274

orion

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For cooling i don't know how to build a watercooling system neither the part needed , so i m thinking about using the corsair a150i pro for this cpu; do you have any idea about it?
IF you have any watercooling system under 350USD it will be usefull
« Last Edit: 2019-02-18, 23:25:56 by orion »

2019-02-18, 16:08:11
Reply #275

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For cooling i don't know how to build a watercooling system neither the part needed , so i m thinking about using the corsair a150i pro for this cpu; do you have any idea about it?
IF you have any watercooling system under 250USD it will be usefull

Enermax LiqTech TR4 offers better die coverage

2019-02-18, 19:24:11
Reply #276

orion

• Active Users
    • View Profile
IF you have any watercooling system under 250USD it will be usefull

Enermax LiqTech TR4 offers better die coverage
Yes but even the REV 2 are reported to be failling

2019-02-18, 23:27:48
Reply #277

orion

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will i finally decided to buy the MSI MEG X399- instead of the Aorus , for the box my wife she is in love with the Cooler master C700P ( you know that RGB  ....), so one thing left, it s the cooling, i will buy the Noctua NH 14S for now and then upgrade to a watercooling system, does someones have a part lists ready for the 2990WX ?

2019-02-19, 15:26:41
Reply #278

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will i finally decided to buy the MSI MEG X399- instead of the Aorus , for the box my wife she is in love with the Cooler master C700P ( you know that RGB  ....), so one thing left, it s the cooling, i will buy the Noctua NH 14S for now and then upgrade to a watercooling system, does someones have a part lists ready for the 2990WX ?

I had the c700p. Fantastic case. Though its worth noting its not great space wise as the top rails touch the underside of standard desk height leaving minimal airflow gap for the radiator if you mount it at the top. Also be careful as theres a tiny plastic notch that the glass panel locks onto that is far too easily broken.

2019-02-19, 20:51:38
Reply #279

orion

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well i the case C700P is out of stock, i'm thinking about the Lian Li PC 11 AIR, little probleme the Noctua NH 14S do not fit, anyone have a solution in mind ? thank's for the help
« Last Edit: 2019-02-19, 23:25:05 by orion »

2019-02-20, 00:21:21
Reply #280

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
One warning, the heatsink on MSI MEG is massive... so the issue jppapers mentions is amplified in almost all cases that were not specifically made for high-end custom watercooling. The board basically needs high upper top, or the board to be positioned slightly lower in the case (so we're talking the bigger out of available big towers). It's very easy to obstruct this board with top radiator+fans. The Case either needs to be tall...or wide.

Definitely do not put this system into case that can't even fit Noctua tower.

If you want to stay with AIR, why not just go with good-old Fractal Define ? If you want option to high-end water cooling, look at cases Peter Sanitra and I bought quite some pages back.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-02-20, 01:13:32
Reply #281

orion

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One warning, the heatsink on MSI MEG is massive... so the issue jppapers mentions is amplified in almost all cases that were not specifically made for high-end custom watercooling. The board basically needs high upper top, or the board to be positioned slightly lower in the case (so we're talking the bigger out of available big towers). It's very easy to obstruct this board with top radiator+fans. The Case either needs to be tall...or wide.

If you want to stay with AIR, why not just go with good-old Fractal Define ? If you want option to high-end water cooling, look at cases Peter Sanitra and I bought quite some pages back.
The lian li 11 AIR  it's the case that Peter Sanitra have, it's a very good case with good reviews but i can not fit inside it the noctua nh 14s - i want to start my build with an air cool then upgrade to a high end water cooling system later

2019-02-20, 02:05:03
Reply #282

orion

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I also like your case Jura the Thermaltake View 71, but as i understood i can not fit inside it 2 radioators ( side/top ) and keep 2 HDD+ 2SSD mounted; ...

2019-02-20, 12:30:31
Reply #283

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ah yes...I forgot mouting HDDs, something I haven't done in years :- ). I don't actually know how many you can mount on the back... I really never check this, good thing you considered it before buying :- ).

2019-02-20, 21:45:32
Reply #284

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

My new builds im using the define r6. Seems like a pretty solid case and the reviews say theyre well built and plenty of options for cable management.