Author Topic: OS X version status  (Read 20762 times)

2016-08-18, 20:06:53
Reply #15

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Aaand? :D

2016-08-19, 14:53:22
Reply #16

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Aaand? :D

We are still working on the implementation of a consistent behavior of Cinema 4D Picture Viewer and Corona Framebuffer. The main problem is that Cinema4D doesn't provide us API to implement the integration of VFB the way we would like to have. For this reason, we must find some way to implement it and very carefully think about and properly test edge cases which is quite time-consuming.

2016-08-19, 20:27:15
Reply #17

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maxon is really not into helping you guys?

2016-08-31, 16:00:00
Reply #18

HaaK

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ahoi there,

Would you be so kind and tell us if you have any news on the status of the implementation? Thank you and keep up the good work!

2016-09-15, 20:16:49
Reply #19

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Aaand? Vol. 2 :D

2016-09-16, 10:09:56
Reply #20

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Maxon is really into helping you guys?
He can't. Because Maxon can theoretically change API to our needs but this changes would be done only in the newest version of Cinema so our plugin would not work even in the previous version of Cinema.

2016-09-16, 12:26:36
Reply #21

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Out of interest what hardware (mac version) are you guys going to be running corona on? I've just tried the online configuration and the top 12 core mac pro with 64gb ram and 512GB HD is nearly £7K and only getting about 1600 Cinebench. Seem a lot. Is Mac OS that much better than windows 10? Whats keeping you on Mac that can't be transferred to PC?

2016-09-16, 12:38:31
Reply #22

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Out of interest what hardware (mac version) are you guys going to be running corona on? I've just tried the online configuration and the top 12 core mac pro with 64gb ram and 512GB HD is nearly £7K and only getting about 1600 Cinebench. Seem a lot. Is Mac OS that much better than windows 10? Whats keeping you on Mac that can't be transferred to PC?

I am pretty sure that the sole reason for that is that some of us enjoy the stability, functionality and simplicity of MacOS. Plenty of studios are using only Macs as well. It might be the thing of the past, but I personally enjoy working on my Mac Pro a lot more because of it's operating system even though it is way slower then my Win10 dual Xeon machine which I am using for rendering and occasional gaming.

It is all a matter of preference and I like to have options :)
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2016-09-16, 15:55:57
Reply #23

Mor4us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MAD Imagery
Having the options is the answer of my choice too ;)
I'm using MacOS (RetinaMBP) when on mobile working, as there weren't any comparable options of Win Laptops. I really love the huge trackpad and it's a pleasure to work with it on the go. For work I'm using 2 dual xeon machines, one as Workstation, second as rendernode (waiting for DR)
Both OS have their advantages for their use.

2016-09-21, 08:13:23
Reply #24

YURII

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YURII SUHOV

2016-09-22, 21:18:56
Reply #25

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-09-25, 13:51:21
Reply #26

HaaK

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 Would be also interested to know if you guys are going to release by the end of the month. Thanks

2016-09-25, 16:31:26
Reply #27

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm using MacOS (RetinaMBP) when on mobile working, as there weren't any comparable options of Win Laptops. I really love the huge trackpad and it's a pleasure to work with it on the go. For work I'm using 2 dual xeon machines, one as Workstation, second as rendernode (waiting for DR)

Sorry I've been away. I see that Macs are nice, although I find the OS a bit alien as I'm so used to Windows. I suppose I worry a bit that Maxon, corona, vray etc must have to spend a lot of extra time making sure everything works on both windows and Mac so there are two streams of development rather than one like Max. Certainly Apple seems to have taken a decisive decision to only have a single cpu machine as its top offering and even two gpu isn't much compared to the 3-4 most gpu rendering guys put in their workstations. I also can't see where they can go next with their line up as adding a second cpu on a double size dustbin would make the price astronomical.

So I imagine a lot of people like you guys are moving to PC workstations for the bigger stuff. I just wondering what the tipping point is for developers including Maxon for the convenience / those that just like Mac OS and MacBooks vs the time they need to put in to develop their software? Like I said our friends on Max don't have the luxury of OSX but perhaps that helps focus development.

2016-09-26, 08:36:04
Reply #28

Mor4us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MAD Imagery

Sorry I've been away. I see that Macs are nice, although I find the OS a bit alien as I'm so used to Windows. I suppose I worry a bit that Maxon, corona, vray etc must have to spend a lot of extra time making sure everything works on both windows and Mac so there are two streams of development rather than one like Max. Certainly Apple seems to have taken a decisive decision to only have a single cpu machine as its top offering and even two gpu isn't much compared to the 3-4 most gpu rendering guys put in their workstations. I also can't see where they can go next with their line up as adding a second cpu on a double size dustbin would make the price astronomical.

So I imagine a lot of people like you guys are moving to PC workstations for the bigger stuff. I just wondering what the tipping point is for developers including Maxon for the convenience / those that just like Mac OS and MacBooks vs the time they need to put in to develop their software? Like I said our friends on Max don't have the luxury of OSX but perhaps that helps focus development.

In my opinion, this is due to Apple/Mac's origins. It's been Developed as an artist and graphic-designer OS and many people in this business trust in this. To be honest, mac is the more-plug'n'play OS, especially if you're not really into the techie side of Computers but still have higher demands due to the software you're using (and believe me this is true for a lot of designers, all Mac-fanboys, I've already met)
They feel less limited in their artistic workflow.
But IF you're comfortable with building your own hardware, installing your own OS, searching form the right driver versions etc. pp, you're propably seeing you're chance to do things better than apple's mac hardware ( I'm Talking of dustbins and imacs right now)

I truely see your question why devs keep a lot of effort in OSX versions, but looking at the c4d Users, i feel theres a lot of graphic designers with more artistic background than for other 3dapps.
Especially when talking about motion graphics (MoGraph)

Even in movie (specialfx/cg) Business there's a different demand and a lot of agencys are using Linux distributions. That why lots of plugins are made for win and linux.
So i think every 3D niche has its demands and uses its best suiting OS

2016-10-01, 18:13:57
Reply #29

HaaK

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As I can see on the Corona Facebook Page you guys have just released the beta for the OSX version. Unfortunatelly I didn't receive any email regarding this release. Could you please check if my email address was added to your betatesters list?
Thank you!