Author Topic: too many lights  (Read 6651 times)

2016-04-18, 23:53:37

giza

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is there any solution for too many lights, other than explained in helpdesk https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000675897-scene-contains-too-many-lights-for-corona-to-sample-efficiently-a-slower-fallback-sampler-will-be-us
i have a scene with like 400+ lights and renders are too noisy and slow even on 3 pc DR.
the scene is quite large, and i have to make many changes often so almost all things are 3d modeled,
i can maybe break it down to many scenes hidinng lights not affecting certain camera but i have to do 20 renders and that makes 20 files and i have no time for such solution!

« Last Edit: 2016-04-18, 23:56:58 by giza »

2016-04-19, 01:20:38
Reply #1

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
that scene seems normal, if you have other rooms just put them on a different layer, not another model.
just show the layers were you are working ...

2016-04-19, 02:12:02
Reply #2

giza

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i forgot to mention that I want to use online renderfarm for final renders - stills, and i used different settings in camera mod for each camera view as some are outside/teraces  and other views are interiors
i have little experience with renderfarms, in vray i used to animate camera settings for each frame and then render as animation with higher settings the whole scene to avoid multiple uploads as files tend to be big and internet slow :(
i don't know if that  will work with animated corona cam mod settings, or i will have to reupload re-saved scene with different state for each view.

2016-04-19, 08:04:52
Reply #3

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
You can try to group close by lights until you hit the magical 255 light group limit, then it will render faster again, provided lights are not too far apart.
Obvious alternative is as you mentioned the unfourtane solution of per camera light toggel.
I know 3dsmax batch tool can toggle stuff like this easily with couple of check boxes, but I don't know the compatibility with your renderfarm.

(Hopefully)Less then a month away from 1.4 release, which will solve that problem once and for all.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-04-19, 08:06:41
Reply #4

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Why do you need so many? araficial lithing could be faked around in most of the cases. Btw the scene does not look like it requeres so many lights may be you have some light mtl with emission turned on?
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2016-04-19, 09:56:00
Reply #5

giza

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why do you need so many? araficial lithing could be faked around in most of the cases...

why so many, it is quite big restaurant interior (it has 4 bars within) and architects want to make more 'dramatic' renders by lighting so many bars tables walls features, they got LED strips and spotlights everywhere :)
i guess its time to break it down to more scenes

Btw the scene does not look like it requeres so many lights may be you have some light mtl with emission turned on?

The screenshot i posted is crop from one camera view i wanted to show noise i mentioned in first post, wherever i could i used CoronaMTL i have too many Corona Lights with IES that i cannot or don't know how to fake

...I know 3dsmax batch tool can toggle stuff like this easily with couple of check boxes, but I don't know the compatibility with your renderfarm.

Actually i found this tool quite usefull http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/batch-camera-render to simply batch render from many cameras and it works in my small 3 pc DR, but i wanted to try Rebusfarm and probably they don't have this script.

2016-04-19, 12:31:01
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Grouping/attaching lights which are in the same room seems to be the only reliable solution now, unless you can simplify the whole setup somehow - for example by using one invisible rectangular light instead of 100 leds, etc. Another idea is to use self-illumination material for the visible lights (it will not count towards the 255 limit), and illuminate the rooms using some simple corona lights (for example if there are 5 lights shining in the same direction - you can use one corona light to illuminate that area).

The support for more lights is in the making right now. We even got a very good real production scene for testing, so we won't be using boxes and teapots only.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-04-19, 13:58:27
Reply #7

giza

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for suggestions maru,
I will try to optimize it somehow