Author Topic: New 12 core Xeon system, anything I need to know? (DR, IR e.t.c)  (Read 1916 times)

2015-04-30, 17:07:28

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all, I've recently built a new 12-core Xeon v3 system and I had a few questions:

1. Do I need to configure Corona / Max in any way to obtain optimal rendering speed with this many cores or is everything good to go?
2. I've noticed IR renders are a lot more noisy /don't clean up as well than non-IR renders for the same amount of time. Is this something to do with how IR uses the CPU cores or just the way the IR algorithm works?
3. Will there be any issues using my old 3930k 6-core system as a render slave considering it's a different type of CPU and uses DDR3 ram? (new build uses DDR4)

The old system is out of commission until I get my new graphics cards, so I haven't been able to test DR, but I thought I'd ask ahead to time / to save myself any headaches.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2015-04-30, 17:11:45 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2015-04-30, 18:17:19
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
hi,
short answer: no special treatment is necessary.

IR does some choices differently to get the fastest refresh rate - so it can be more noisy after a while. But it should not be too dramatic.

Different RAM type does not cause any change.

Maybe one thing: if you previously set number of threads to some fixed constant like 11 (on 12-thread system), you need to update that on your new system in your scenes. if you did not use this, then you are fine.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-04-30, 20:32:00
Reply #2

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome, thanks for the helpful reply!
Vray who?