Author Topic: AMD μProf performance analysis tool (for Corona dev team)  (Read 2969 times)

2019-07-08, 14:25:16

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
AMD tweeted out a link earlier about their new Ryzen optimisation/performance analysis tool: https://developer.amd.com/amd-uprof/?sf215410082=1

I was wondering whether this was already being used by the dev team, and if not would it be useful in squeezing out more performance from the new Zen 2 Ryzens/upcoming Threadrippers? Seeing as the new chip architecture is drastically different from anything that's come before it, would this be something worth looking into?

The reason I bring this up is due to the lower than expected performance of the current gen Threadrippers with Corona (compare the corona bench scores to similar scoring Xeons, then compare those chips Cinebench score - something is amiss). However this could also be due to the already noted windows scheduling/NUMA issues...

Some insight here would be appreciated!
Vray who?

2019-07-08, 14:36:42
Reply #1

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I would argue that Cinebench is not particularly indicative of the real-world performance of CPUs; I know that AMD has a tendency to use it because it produces better numbers for their CPUs, but Cinema4D's integrated renderer that Cinebench is based on is somewhat outdated now. From the various benchmark results floating around the release of the Ryzen 3 CPUs, both Corona and V-Ray seem to produce very similar results compared to Intel CPUs.

Best regards,
Vlado