Author Topic: Max 2019 issues with Corona interactive and Forest pack  (Read 4032 times)

2018-08-29, 18:34:22

Fluid_Jamie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

We recently, and reluctantly, upgraded to Max 2019 (as we were having some Revit import issues with our workhorse 2016 version) and decided to use it for our latest project.

However we are already running into a multitude of issues, mainly surrounding Corona interactive and Forest pack. Anything regarding using Max while the interactive viewport is active seems like it could trigger a crash, adding modifiers, navigating the material editor and even a simple ctrl+z. I feel like I have to close the interactive preview between any iteration of change, to avoid the chance of a crash. Which is kind of defeating the point... I have seen the crash screen and/or task manager more times the last couple of days than ever before.

Forest pack seems particularly susceptible to causing issues, with simple lawns making the interactive viewport completely unresponsive. (on another note Forest edge doesn't seem to work with Corona in Max 2019). For comparison, I backwards saved the exact same scene to 2016 and it works absolutely fine. Viewports and interactive rendering are responsive to the point it is almost real-time and forest edge works just fine. Exact same scene, exact same plugin versions. I have worked with similar residential developments in 2016 that have significantly heavier landscapes, but 2019 is falling at the first hurdle.

I know this probably needs chasing up with iToo and Autodesk, but I was wondering if anybody here has had similar experiences or knows what the hell is going on?!

For the record, I believe I'm fully up to date with all relevant software packages and graphics drivers.

Thankfully I'm not too heavily invested in 2019 so will most likely fall back to our trusty 2016 version.

Cheers,

Jamie

2018-08-30, 15:01:18
Reply #1

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Upload the logs of the crash, otherwise they cant see whats going on here.

2018-08-31, 11:25:39
Reply #2

Fluid_Jamie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's not so much about diagnosing a single, consistent crash. Everything seems to be slow and unstable, I was just wanting to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

The most pressing issue for me at the moment is awful performance with IR and FP, it's not crashing but simple viewport moves take at least a minute to respond. Whereas 2016 works perfectly fine in the same scenario.

2018-08-31, 13:08:24
Reply #3

Bzuco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • personal web page
Do you have also max 2019.1.1 update ? AFAIK it was tiny update for viewport performance which was very bad in 2019.1

"A viewport performance issue for scenes with many poly-meshes was discovered in the 2019.1 update release. We know that viewport performance of 3ds Max is critically important to our users, so we are happy to announce update 2019.1.1 which addresses the problem. We are grateful to our user community for pointing out the issue early, which allowed us to resolve it quickly after release."

2018-08-31, 13:35:39
Reply #4

Fluid_Jamie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you have also max 2019.1.1 update ? AFAIK it was tiny update for viewport performance which was very bad in 2019.1

"A viewport performance issue for scenes with many poly-meshes was discovered in the 2019.1 update release. We know that viewport performance of 3ds Max is critically important to our users, so we are happy to announce update 2019.1.1 which addresses the problem. We are grateful to our user community for pointing out the issue early, which allowed us to resolve it quickly after release."

I do, I was hoping it would help but it didn't. Thank you though!

2018-08-31, 16:46:08
Reply #5

James

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Jamesmadethis.com
Not a particular fix, but I've found that having multiple versions of Max installed can cause problems - especially viewport ones. In my case its been buttons dissapearing, imput boxes not accepting inputs, layer manager freezing and half dissapearing, loads of wierd stuff. All cured by getting rid of previous versions.

Takes a while to uninstall all the crap that 3dsmax puts on though. Just installed in 3dsmax doesnt get rid of everything from that version, theres loads of other things to uninstall one at a time in add/remove programs.

As for general viewport movement slowness, are you i windows 10?. Have a look if antimalware-windows defender is constantly using Network Mbps (task manager), disabling the continuous scanning was a massive improvement for me.

2018-09-05, 11:37:22
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The only thing we can advise is:
Send us a support ticket using this form: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
Provide us with all the necessary information that would allow us to reproduce the issue:
-Description
-Corona version
-3ds Max version
-Windows version
-3rd party plugins and their exact versions
-Repro steps - what to do exactly to reproduce the issue? (crash, freeze, slowdown) Just open the scene and hit render? Or are some other steps needed?
-Attach as many files as possible: the scene itself (archived with all assets), screenshots of the error messages, minidumps from the crash/freeze
Here is how to capture a minidump: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006
And you can upload any files up to 10GB here: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-09-07, 11:26:44
Reply #7

Fluid_Jamie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not a particular fix, but I've found that having multiple versions of Max installed can cause problems - especially viewport ones. In my case its been buttons dissapearing, imput boxes not accepting inputs, layer manager freezing and half dissapearing, loads of wierd stuff. All cured by getting rid of previous versions.

Takes a while to uninstall all the crap that 3dsmax puts on though. Just installed in 3dsmax doesnt get rid of everything from that version, theres loads of other things to uninstall one at a time in add/remove programs.

As for general viewport movement slowness, are you i windows 10?. Have a look if antimalware-windows defender is constantly using Network Mbps (task manager), disabling the continuous scanning was a massive improvement for me.

Thanks James, appreciate the time taken to come up with these suggestions.

We've gone back to 2016 for now, but once this project is out of the way I'll start troubleshooting 2019. We are indeed on Windows 10, there doesn't seem to be any interference from that however, and I can't imagine it would discriminate between Max 2016 and 2019 either?

2018-09-07, 11:32:46
Reply #8

Fluid_Jamie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The only thing we can advise is:
Send us a support ticket using this form: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
Provide us with all the necessary information that would allow us to reproduce the issue:
-Description
-Corona version
-3ds Max version
-Windows version
-3rd party plugins and their exact versions
-Repro steps - what to do exactly to reproduce the issue? (crash, freeze, slowdown) Just open the scene and hit render? Or are some other steps needed?
-Attach as many files as possible: the scene itself (archived with all assets), screenshots of the error messages, minidumps from the crash/freeze
Here is how to capture a minidump: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006
And you can upload any files up to 10GB here: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

Thanks Maru, I'll do this when I get chance. I have a feeling it is forest pack related, not so much on the Corona side but I'll send anyway.