Author Topic: Render nodes as a separate purchase starting in V8  (Read 4266 times)

2022-02-26, 21:54:02

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First off, let me say that I understand that Corona needs to raise prices since everything else around us is getting more expensive.
Don’t hate the player, hate the game!
I also understand that for current license holders “everything” will stay the same in regard to render nodes.
In this blog post from last year https://blog.corona-renderer.com/corona-in-2022-new-features-visuals-licensing-and-more/ you talk about node usage data and how small players subsidizing big players that heavily use render nodes.
While I do have a 3 node license and won’t be effected (for now…), I think leaving a small tier 3 nodes or 2 or heck, even 1 node would be very helpful for the “small players”. 
According to the yearly 3 and 5 node price difference, you valued 1 render node at €30 that will jump 233% to €100.
3 render nodes will then cost more than a full license. 
When it comes to “subsidizing big players”, one could argue that c4d users have for years subsidized Corona Scatter and the Corona DR solution for max users, while we used the c4d build-in tools like the fragile team render framework and mograph, etc.

I honestly believe that this move will hurt the “small players” the most, that already struggle with pricing their renderings in this economy.
I also have the feeling that it’s probably just a matter of time that “grandfathered” licenses will loose their nodes too.

So how about, every license comes with 3 nodes included and after that €100 per node? Win/Win for all?!
Thank you, Chaos-rona!!! 

2022-02-27, 04:07:49
Reply #1

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will add to this by saying that when I was searching for a CPU render engine for my Mac C4D, it was between Arnold and Corona. Corona seemed a little faster and easier to set up, but the final decision came down to Corona came with 3 render nodes. That's exactly what I told the Arnold people when they inquired why I was not going to buy their engine after the demo expired. Arnold has an excellent reputation for superior quality and realistic renders, BUT if I'm going to use a slower engine, I NEED some nodes to take advantage of my extra CPUs. In my situation, I'm not billing for most of my work as our clients are charged a comprehensive price for major categories such as video production, digital-web banners, web sites, social media, physical printed pieces, etc.

If I had to rely on a render farm for every job, we'd go out of business. Even a small 4 second animation can cost you $80-$100 if you're not careful. Having those three extra render nodes is a great benefit for us small Corona users. At some point, we will have to begin paying for the Chaos Browser or Scatter? I'd rather pay a little more for the license than start having these benefits as paid extras.

Maxon used to have different versions of C4D called bundles. One for Visualization, one for Broadcast, a basic version and the Studio version. Seemed like a good idea of not paying for features you didn't need, but I think it waters down the product. Just make a great product and be innovative and they will come and pay the one price. Or use Blender if you don't have the cash for paid professional software.

Fingers crossed.

2022-02-27, 17:27:37
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As noted in the blog post, the pricing was set when we were brand new as a company, and we did not get everything right at the time, and one of the most major parts of that was underpricing render nodes. Because users who have been with us to date have "got used" to that pricing, we are keeping the pricing the same for those who have existing subscriptions and keep those going; but we do have to correct the pricing structure for those who join us going forward.

Scatter was originally going to be a separate paid product :) So that process actually went the other way, now it is integrated in your pricing. So no reason why you would see that be reversed in the future.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-03-29, 15:08:58
Reply #3

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will add to this by saying that when I was searching for a CPU render engine for my Mac C4D, it was between Arnold and Corona. Corona seemed a little faster and easier to set up, but the final decision came down to Corona came with 3 render nodes. That's exactly what I told the Arnold people when they inquired why I was not going to buy their engine after the demo expired. Arnold has an excellent reputation for superior quality and realistic renders, BUT if I'm going to use a slower engine, I NEED some nodes to take advantage of my extra CPUs. In my situation, I'm not billing for most of my work as our clients are charged a comprehensive price for major categories such as video production, digital-web banners, web sites, social media, physical printed pieces, etc.

If I had to rely on a render farm for every job, we'd go out of business. Even a small 4 second animation can cost you $80-$100 if you're not careful. Having those three extra render nodes is a great benefit for us small Corona users. At some point, we will have to begin paying for the Chaos Browser or Scatter? I'd rather pay a little more for the license than start having these benefits as paid extras.

Maxon used to have different versions of C4D called bundles. One for Visualization, one for Broadcast, a basic version and the Studio version. Seemed like a good idea of not paying for features you didn't need, but I think it waters down the product. Just make a great product and be innovative and they will come and pay the one price. Or use Blender if you don't have the cash for paid professional software.

Fingers crossed.

Hello BigAl3D,

what application or plugin do you use to use Corona ONLY as a render node without opening the GUI. Do you use Team Render?
thanks

2022-03-29, 15:55:29
Reply #4

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As noted in the blog post, the pricing was set when we were brand new as a company, and we did not get everything right at the time, and one of the most major parts of that was underpricing render nodes. Because users who have been with us to date have "got used" to that pricing, we are keeping the pricing the same for those who have existing subscriptions and keep those going; but we do have to correct the pricing structure for those who join us going forward.

Scatter was originally going to be a separate paid product :) So that process actually went the other way, now it is integrated in your pricing. So no reason why you would see that be reversed in the future.

Do I understand that it will continue as 3 nodes for current subscribers then?
I understand charging for more than 2 nodes i suppose. But many independent artists like myself have a dual-machine setup and its become quite normal to work on one and render on the other. It doesnt really feel like we're using it as a render farm. It feels quite necessary these days.

2022-03-29, 16:18:01
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Right, current subscribers keep whatever render nodes they currently have (at the same pricing they currently pay), so long as the subscription is kept active.

2022-03-31, 10:26:16
Reply #6

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will add to this by saying that when I was searching for a CPU render engine for my Mac C4D, it was between Arnold and Corona. Corona seemed a little faster and easier to set up, but the final decision came down to Corona came with 3 render nodes.

This! This is exactly why I use Corona and not V-Ray or Arnold and why I ditched my Redshift subscription years ago. Render nodes (at least a few) should be a given. We're not getting another seat to twiddle things, we're just feeding our renders into a 'virtual' faster machine.... I do understand having loads is taking the piss a bit but perhaps 4 should be offered with the standalone...
I'm saying this as a user who has 4 from years of subscribing and trust me, I'm never going back to another engine as I love Corona and I love how it's matured over the years. Just my 2 cents....

2022-09-15, 10:23:09
Reply #7

babumbol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh well, I missed that. And I don't get it. Corona Renderer is the slowest Renderer I know of. Even its RAM usage is mind boggling. I get low RAM messages, where Octane just eats the scene away (in a fraction of time). It is mandatory to have render nodes with Corona. In fact, I would even say Corona is pretty useless without render nodes in productive environments. But milking customers is somewhat trendy I guess. In a business not known for healthy budgets. Keep it going ...

2022-12-09, 14:06:45
Reply #8

rob_aspray

• Users
    • View Profile
Please could someone clarify?

I'm a freelance artist and have been using corona for 5 years (approx). I pay monthly because when I set up the business I had a lot of outgoings so it made sense to spread the costs. I have never cancelled my subscription and wouldn't even if I went on holiday for a month.

My monthly instalments has gone up from 29.99 EUR to 71.88 EUR.

I've quizzed Chaos and this is there response:

"Hi Rob,

After the release of Corona 9 all commercial licenses were migrated to Corona Premium subscription.
We understand how the price adjustment is affecting our users, hence we are introducing the Corona Solo license - it is the best option for single machine users and is available at a lower price per month and a year.
It entitles you to use Corona Renderer in 3ds Max and in Cinema 4D just with a single license. It is a node-locked license which means it can be used on a single machine only.

After the migration the options for you are as follows:
1) You can use the Corona Premium license without any further charges until the next renewal date. Only then you will be charged at the higher price, unless you deactivate the automatic renewal option from your my.chaos.com;

2) We can migrate your subscription directly to Chaos Solo plan, and your subscription will continue to automatically renew on the Solo plan. Just bear in mind that if you previously owned a Corona FairSaas license you will not be able to keep the extra Render Nodes for free, this option is only available until you keep on renewing your Corona Premium subscription

3) Now that your Corona FairSaas license is migrated to Corona Premium Monthly license we can provide you with a payment link with which you can migrate it to a Corona Premium Annual license which is the more profitable option when you divide the price per month and will also allow you to keep your extra Corona Render Nodes for free

More information and pricing can be found on this page - https://corona-renderer.com/prices-licensing

Let us know if you need any further information or assistance.
"

2022-12-09, 15:12:41
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If you need some further clarification, the best solution will be simply continuing the discussion with the support agent in your existing support ticket.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-12-09, 19:13:37
Reply #10

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"...and will also allow you to keep your extra Corona Render Nodes for free."

Maybe English is the first language at Chaos, so i can understand wording like that, but to say the render nodes are "free" in the for a Premium account is not accurate. Premium account holders are paying for the extra nodes with the higher price. From what I've read, the only difference between a standard plan and the premium plan is node-locked and extra render nodes. Is that correct, or are their other things that only come with Premium such as Chaos, Scatter, etc.?

2022-12-09, 19:27:07
Reply #11

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The main difference between Premium and Solo is that Premium includes Chaos Scans, Chaos Player, and Chaos Phoenix, and Solo does not include those. The secondary difference is that Solo is machine locked, and Premium is floating.

The only free render nodes are for those who are already established customers who purchased before Corona 8 and have kept their subscription going - if they keep a a Premium subscription going from the release of Corona 9, they continue to get those extra render nodes that they had from back before Corona 8. Since they pay no more than new Premium customers who don't have those render nodes from before Corona 8 (or indeed any render nodes, unless they purchase them extra), then those render nodes are free.

Hope that helps!

2023-01-03, 17:14:35
Reply #12

rob_aspray

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Both,

Thanks for getting back to me.

So basically I need to change to the yearly premium and I'll be paying the same as before (when split monthly) and will still retain my 3 extra render nodes.

Doesn't really help the little man but I guess it is what it is!

Cheers

Rob

2023-01-09, 14:55:53
Reply #13

rob_aspray

• Users
    • View Profile
It would appear that I am wrong again!!!!

"Just to clarify, you will keep your extra nodes, only if you keep renewing this subscription.
If you upgrade your subscription from monthly to annual, the additional nodes will be lost.
"

Further evidence of Chaos squeezing the balls of the little man!!!

This is infuriating and making me want to cancel my subscription.

Is no one else here feeling the pinch? 

2023-01-10, 15:00:13
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It was a misunderstanding and it is now resolved.
In case of having a legacy monthly license with additional render nodes > being migrated to the monthly Premium while keeping the nodes > then requesting to upgrade to the yearly Premium while keeping the nodes, we provide a way to keep access to those extra render nodes for free.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us