Author Topic: Time to ditch sRGB/Linear as default (?)  (Read 102140 times)

2018-06-08, 15:37:24
Reply #105

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been on a nearly 4 month FStorm vacation and liked the results it gave me. Haven't been paying attention to Corona during the time and have a lot of catching up to do, so first I wanted to ask if this discussion has been picked up by the devs?

Yes please write some comparisons. I wanted to look into it too but the lawsuit surrounding it has put me off testing it in a production environment

I've been testing out F-Storm on a few product shots and have to say it's really amazing. I don't know what they are doing but the way bitmaps are handled is really something - textures appear to come out much sharper (and not artificial "sharpen tool" sharper). For example at grazing angles and in fine reflection/glossy maps, textures are much clearer

More on topic: The tone mapping in F-Storm is godly. It's as close to DSLR like as you can get from any render engine I've used. Everything just looks so "real" and photographically punchy - it's actually quite a task to produce a badly tone mapped image in FStorm.

Now if only Corona could copy FStorms tone mapping 1:1 (and FStorms geopattern) that would be insane. Corona has too many great features and great ease of use so it will still be my daily driver (until 32gb+ GPU's start coming out...).
Vray who?

2018-06-11, 12:25:03
Reply #106

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been on a nearly 4 month FStorm vacation and liked the results it gave me. Haven't been paying attention to Corona during the time and have a lot of catching up to do, so first I wanted to ask if this discussion has been picked up by the devs?

Yes please write some comparisons. I wanted to look into it too but the lawsuit surrounding it has put me off testing it in a production environment

I've been testing out F-Storm on a few product shots and have to say it's really amazing. I don't know what they are doing but the way bitmaps are handled is really something - textures appear to come out much sharper (and not artificial "sharpen tool" sharper). For example at grazing angles and in fine reflection/glossy maps, textures are much clearer

More on topic: The tone mapping in F-Storm is godly. It's as close to DSLR like as you can get from any render engine I've used. Everything just looks so "real" and photographically punchy - it's actually quite a task to produce a badly tone mapped image in FStorm.

Now if only Corona could copy FStorms tone mapping 1:1 (and FStorms geopattern) that would be insane. Corona has too many great features and great ease of use so it will still be my daily driver (until 32gb+ GPU's start coming out...).

+1 re: the magical stuff around FStorm :D

2018-06-11, 16:31:50
Reply #107

Tok_Tok

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So if Fstorm is one of the few (or the only one) who has this insane tone mapping, would I be correct to assume that it's technically very difficult to achieve this? Or is there another reason why other renderers are using an "old" tone mapping system?

2018-06-14, 12:51:19
Reply #108

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have a single GTX 1080. Do you reckon I could handle small interior shots?

2018-06-14, 14:25:44
Reply #109

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have a single GTX 1080. Do you reckon I could handle small interior shots?

I've mostly been using it for product shots and animations with heavy DOF/motion blur and for those applications it's working out faster than Corona by a long shot. But I'm not willing to risk it on a complex commercial interior scene. My setup: 12 core Xeon with dual Titan X's (maxwell). I have to say that the prospect of being able to scale performance linearly with add on GPU's is really nice/cost effective.

For example, you'd have to go with either a multi core Xeon system + render nodes (and all of the costs associated with a new system) or a single threadripper v2. Or with FStorm you could simply stick in as many GPU's as you want into your existing low cost system.

The only issue here is GPU memory limitation, but this will soon be a thing of the past with either out of core rendering/next gen GPU's with 32gb+ RAM. FStorm also seems to be insanely memory efficient and even has a bitmap compression algorithm that further cuts RAM usage. Corona had better keep up as I can easily see FStorm overtaking in the future once it irons out a few kinks/adds more compatibility. Crazy to think that it's just one Russian guy who made it!

Personally I would have like to have seen a Corona/FStorm merger rather than with Vray. The new tech FStorm brings to the table is insane.

The stuff that Johannes Lindqvist/Illusive images put out is what made me stray from Corona somewhat, but as mentioned before there are a lot of lacking features that I use in almost all projects (multi-light, material map compatibility, Corona scatter e.t.c).
« Last Edit: 2018-06-14, 14:29:46 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2018-06-14, 16:34:44
Reply #110

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
how does one go about getting a trial or purchasing fstorm?  I tried it long ago when it first came out but since the lawsuit ramped up I  haven’t been able to track down anything.  Would like to give my 1080 Ti a spin on a test scene.

Thanks,
Daniel

2018-06-15, 00:06:11
Reply #111

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
how does one go about getting a trial or purchasing fstorm?  I tried it long ago when it first came out but since the lawsuit ramped up I  haven’t been able to track down anything.  Would like to give my 1080 Ti a spin on a test scene.

Thanks,
Daniel

You have to facebook message the developer directly

2018-09-06, 12:21:40
Reply #112

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just changing tonemapping defaults to something non-linear and at the same time adding a button that will set everything to linear with single click (when you need to do pass compositing).

I couldn't agree more. It is time for something like that.
If users need to do heavy compositing work, let them have a checkbox that forces linear output. But the default should be some tonemapping that is as close to a camera as possible.
The V-Ray guy checking out Corona...

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

2018-10-19, 00:31:45
Reply #113

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread kinda burned out but it was really interesting to read. Did this ever get picked up as a potential feature request? It probably should.

2018-10-19, 11:36:15
Reply #114

monitorhero

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did anything ever come out of this? I recently jumped on the opposite track with working with linear 32bit exr. The possibilities are so much greater in compositing especially with the Corona Image Editor.
I am a Blender user and Blenders filmic tonemapper didn't quite give me what I wanted compared to Coronas Image Editor. I am trying to wrap my head around this topic for a few months now and it's difficult to fully grasp.

2018-10-19, 13:23:11
Reply #115

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I for one definitely want an option for fstorm-esque more DSLR style tonemapping. I most definitely want to use corona like a DSLR rather than generating essential passes.

2018-10-19, 13:42:41
Reply #116

monitorhero

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Best thing would be we get something like in the beforementioned video about the Lego Movie here

Any updates from the developers on this?

2018-10-19, 14:02:25
Reply #117

Tok_Tok

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread kinda burned out but it was really interesting to read. Did this ever get picked up as a potential feature request? It probably should.

I sure hope it did. I'm about to switch to Fstorm for interior renders for it's superb tonemapping and shading. Keep up Corona, I would hate to switch to another renderer because I love the ease of use of Corona, but Fstorm is just more realistic and I often feel like Corona's output still feels "rendery".. If I look at the roadmap I see all kinds of improvements that are interesting but it's not the things uses want (I think), when is the last time we had a poll about what users want?

2018-10-19, 14:40:02
Reply #118

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
when is the last time we had a poll about what users want?

Umm... always? There's always one - https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=96
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-10-19, 15:20:37
Reply #119

Tok_Tok

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right, sorry I have to visit the forum more.

I'm hoping that this one: "PBR Style material (Disney, Unreal Engine, etc..)". Is about what's talked about here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=13398.150

Is that correct?