Author Topic: Which parameters or tooltips are hardest to understand?  (Read 14134 times)

2016-10-30, 00:45:33
Reply #15

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@astudio: If you haven't yet installed 1.5 Hotfix1, then it might be the solution for your problems (or some of them at least). Pieces from the changelog:

- Reverted white balance tone mapping to 1.4 behavior. 1.4 scenes will render same as in 1.4 and 1.5 scenes will render same as 1.5 (which is different from 1.4) with a warning adivising user to go back to 1.4 behavior (possible with one click)

- 1.4 mix maps now load without appearance change (which means the sRGB mixing is disabled for them upon loading)

Hope it helps

2016-10-30, 01:46:36
Reply #16

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
@PROH
Thank you. You really helped. I missed this announcement. And didn't receive the mail which I usually got for updates.

2016-10-30, 13:16:13
Reply #17

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
@TomG @Maru

There is some bug in https://corona-renderer.com/doc/ in General Settings where Render selected - mode "disable" at the right.

Same bug there in in Camera section

2016-10-31, 15:27:36
Reply #18

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey all!

TY for the feedback here! Just to summarize where we are at present, there aren't any actual requests for improvements / changes to tooltips? What we have from the above is some good questions and requests, though none tooltip related as such:

- Request to make denoise enabled the default for LightSelect parameters

- More short video guides showing a particular parameter (planned to be done, as it happens)

- Tutorial on (and / or changes to) the relationship between CoronaCameraMod, RenderSettings, PhysicalCamera and the VFB

- A bug on the online documentation with some "invisible" fields showing up

- A tutorial (or more than one) on what some of the other Render Elements do

- Some explanation somewhere of the CoronaData map (can't be a tooltip as they don't pop up for maps in the list in the ME)

- A question on why CoronaMix keeps the existing bitmap in top layer rather than base layer

- A question about what the different Mix Operation modes do in CoronaMix (which can't be a tooltip, as it would be too long to make a note for each mode)

If you do have any suggestions for changes to tooltips, let me know :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-11-01, 21:09:41
Reply #19

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom. Here's som tooltip feedback.

In the Corona mtl there's no tooltip at all for Reflection Glossiness. Back when I started using Corona, this gave me some head-scratching, since this particular parameter doesn't work as any other (i.e. Diffuse, Reflection level) when there's a map in the slot set to 100%. And when the bitmap is set lower than a 100% the glossiness value acts as a color swatch.

This may be "natural" for some users (Vray?), but it sure wasn't for me.

BTW - Theres no tooltip for Refraction IOR and Refraction Glossiness as well.

Regards

2016-11-01, 21:12:51
Reply #20

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
TY! Good to know for us to review tooltips! And possibly tutorials too, sounds like it might be good info in those.

2016-11-01, 21:15:04
Reply #21

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom. Another feature missing tooltips is the newly added "Dome mode" in Corona Bitmap. Even tho the parameters will be self-explaining for some, it might not be so for all users.

Personally I think I know what they do - but without tooltips and helpfiles I can't be absolutely sure (I newwer used "Dome mode" before).

Regards

2016-11-15, 13:42:42
Reply #22

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
Depth of field - Sensor width
Motion blur - We have tooltip for enable checkboxes, but haven't  it for Transform segments, Geometry segments, Frame offset  ;)

2016-11-15, 14:02:41
Reply #23

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi astudio,

Tooltips for all of those exist - but they only show up when the values are active (not greyed out) - that is, Sensor shows when DoF is enabled, and the MoBlur ones when either Enable camera or Enable geometry is active. Are they not showing up for you at all? Or do you mean they aren't easily understood?

Thanks!
   Tom

2016-11-15, 22:41:22
Reply #24

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
Hi astudio,

Tooltips for all of those exist - but they only show up when the values are active (not greyed out) - that is, Sensor shows when DoF is enabled, and the MoBlur ones when either Enable camera or Enable geometry is active. Are they not showing up for you at all? Or do you mean they aren't easily understood?

Thanks!
   Tom

They are not showing at all. May be it fixed in 1.5.1 . I use 1.5.
Why do you disable tooltips for disabled futures? For me it's some kind of help file. I may learn things without actually using the function.

2016-11-16, 12:08:13
Reply #25

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Working fine here. Which 3ds Max version are you using? Do you need some help regarding those parameters?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-11-16, 13:31:03
Reply #26

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
3ds max 14. I tested that in all computers. Can't see tooltips in subsections, only main tooltips. Corona 1.5 Windows 7 & 8.1  It's strange.