Author Topic: Corona Trial Run  (Read 5020 times)

2013-11-15, 04:36:13

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

Finally took the plunge and installed corona Alpha5 yesterday and after getting my head around a bit of the workflow, here is the result of my first image. I haven't let it go long at all (186 passes at 2000x2000 which took an hour and a half on my 2 x xeon) but I think the results are REALLY good considering I spent NO time on materials (and left a lot just as a test material) and lit the scene with an HDRI and 2 material portals.

For anyone interested, the settings were PT16 and HD Cache50 and I upped the secondary GI settings to PT512 with 300max records. Perhaps these changes were unnecessary but I tried to collect a few tips from suggestions within the image gallery from users that had submitted the works I liked.

I'm really interested to understand corona a lot better with the view to switching over from Mental Ray as soon as possible so please, C and C as well as pointers would be more than welcome.

P.S...I have attached a 2nd image with the stats bar up because I would like to better understand the lights section. It says I have 22,843 lights. I noticed that in the Aplha4 benchmark test there was only 1 light indicated. Have I done something terrible here that I need to be made aware of? :)

2013-11-15, 10:58:41
Reply #1

skinny_santa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK SO MORE THE NUMBER OF RAYS/S MEANS LESS THE GRAINY RENDER WILL BE?

I MEAN MORE RAYS/S = LESS GRAINY RENDER ?
using corona before it was cool :3

2013-11-15, 11:13:08
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
OK SO MORE THE NUMBER OF RAYS/S MEANS LESS THE GRAINY RENDER WILL BE?

I MEAN MORE RAYS/S = LESS GRAINY RENDER ?

more capslock = less attention to your posts

2013-11-15, 12:05:14
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
P.S...I have attached a 2nd image with the stats bar up because I would like to better understand the lights section. It says I have 22,843 lights. I noticed that in the Aplha4 benchmark test there was only 1 light indicated. Have I done something terrible here that I need to be made aware of? :)
Each polygon from light-emitting object is counted as a separate light. Don't worry though, it will render reasonably fast most of the times even with high light count ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-15, 15:55:58
Reply #4

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I figured it was going to be a geometry/poly thing. Thanks for the clarification Keymaster. Appreciated :)

2013-11-15, 16:28:10
Reply #5

skinny_santa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
oh no i wasn't screaming i was rendering something on after effects so capslock was on and i didnt knew capslock means screaming hehehe i just googled it :P

anyway i was trying corona on my vray scene i converted it using dead clown converter which worked great and the render looks grainy
so should i let it run for like  80-90+ passes ?
it wont be grainy then ?
i used a daylight with corona sun and sky :)

thanks

2013-11-15, 18:40:25
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

so should i let it run for like  80-90+ passes ?
it wont be grainy then ?

There is no rule for this but in most cases you should be able to have acceptable results after about 100 passes.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-11-16, 02:05:34
Reply #7

skinny_santa

• Active Users
    • View Profile

[/quote]

There is no rule for this but in most cases you should be able to have acceptable results after about 100 passes.
[/quote]

yes i got it now . getting the hang of it . thanks :)