Author Topic: New UVW Randomizer playground!  (Read 34537 times)

2020-06-19, 15:26:07
Reply #45

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Something I've been wondering lately. Is it necessary, or beneficial, to have separated the UVW randomizer and the MultiMap randomizer which handles gamma/hue randomization? I fairly often wish this could all somehow just be built in to the regular old coronabitmap loader, as randomization sections within it you can use if you wish, all in one place.

Let me guess, you are a compact material editor user? Because on a nodal workflow standpoint, that's absolutely awful to centralize everything in one node. I would be pissed off if something like that happens.

All day long ;) Slate is amazing for making complex custom materials. But 99.9% of the time we're re-using and adapting library materials, and compact material editor is an order of magnitude more efficient for that IMO.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2020-08-16, 21:30:18
Reply #46

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I've been using the UVW Randomizer extensively in my last several projects and I want to echo some earlier comments that it is cumbersome from an interface perspective - I feel like I have to wrestle with it to arrive at the desired behavior and I wonder if a 'jitter' parameter might be useful(?)

Additionally, I find that I am using the UVW Randomizer a lot, which translates to setting up the UVW Randomizer a lot, and that can be a tedious, if not lengthy, process. Similar to the Corona Triplanar node, I am curious if there is a modifier-based solution or a way to fold the UVW Randomizer (and triplanar) nodes into a global shader dialog, e.g. advanced options?

2020-08-20, 10:08:38
Reply #47

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Could I get an official response about displacement and UVW Randomizer for v6? I just want to be clear that the implementation does not fully support displacement and I'm not making some sort of mistake in my shader config(?)

2020-08-20, 16:22:04
Reply #48

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I've been using the UVW Randomizer extensively in my last several projects and I want to echo some earlier comments that it is cumbersome from an interface perspective - I feel like I have to wrestle with it to arrive at the desired behavior and I wonder if a 'jitter' parameter might be useful(?)

Additionally, I find that I am using the UVW Randomizer a lot, which translates to setting up the UVW Randomizer a lot, and that can be a tedious, if not lengthy, process. Similar to the Corona Triplanar node, I am curious if there is a modifier-based solution or a way to fold the UVW Randomizer (and triplanar) nodes into a global shader dialog, e.g. advanced options?

We understand that the ability to affect multiple maps by a single UVW Randomizer node (or a similar solution) is needed. Unfortunately it can't be done for V6.
Can you explain what exactly you mean by "jitter"? In my understanding, randomizing the U and V offset should have a similar effect to what "jitter" does in most apps.

Could I get an official response about displacement and UVW Randomizer for v6? I just want to be clear that the implementation does not fully support displacement and I'm not making some sort of mistake in my shader config(?)

It should work fine. Are you having some problems with it? If so, can you post some examples and material editor screenshots, and as usual, a scene would be the best.

Thanks!

Update: added examples of displacement with Uvw Randomizer with a procedural and a bitmap.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-20, 16:47:28 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-08-24, 04:07:17
Reply #49

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Documented the issue in the following video and uploaded the scene to the private uploader.
watch x1.5-2.0 speed

2020-08-24, 10:18:10
Reply #50

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@cjwidd
Confirmed and logged, using a similar texture, however with bump rather than displacement. This could mean that the issue is caused by autobump.
Please try this workaround: use the Corona Bump Converter node after the UVW Randomizer (see screenshot).

(Internal ID=553866247)

2020-08-24, 12:59:15
Reply #51

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Doesn't seem to have an effect(?)

2020-08-24, 13:01:19
Reply #52

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You cannot use the Bump Converter on an RGB normal map. Try using it on the map that is plugged into displacement.

2020-08-24, 13:24:09
Reply #53

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

2020-08-24, 13:26:45
Reply #54

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you send me this scene with all assets archived?

2020-08-24, 13:58:39
Reply #55

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I uploaded it to the DropBox private uploader earlier today (?)

2020-08-24, 14:19:45
Reply #56

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I uploaded it to the DropBox private uploader earlier today (?)

Got it, thanks, we will look into it.
Just a note for the next time - if an issue can be reproduced with a single object and one material, it would make sense to isolate those, rather than uploading a 2GB scene. ;)

2020-08-24, 17:07:39
Reply #57

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hmm, now I am really confused. I was able to create my own scene where this happened, but I cannot reproduce it in your scene.
Here are the results I am getting (juts opened your scene and hit render, and tried various combinations of bump, displacement, and bump converter). Seems to work fine in any combination.

The only obvious difference I can see is that I am using V6 RC4 and you are on RC3 - can you try again with RC4?

2020-08-24, 19:42:46
Reply #58

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Yeah, sorry about that - I wasn't sure what might be the culprit and I didn't wan't to take the chance you didn't get all the information.

I'll pull down RC4 and test

2020-08-25, 08:14:51
Reply #59

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I'm sure I don't know what is causing the issue, but it seems related to displacement. Tried the same implementation in RC4, with and without bump converter, and with a different mesh: