Author Topic: upgrade to corona9 from corona6  (Read 430 times)

2023-02-27, 20:53:22

Snoopymorzsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Iam using corona6 for about 2years now, and more or less Iam familiar with it, and I can work really fast with the settings, but Iam really interested in corona9.
My question is, if I upgrade, will there be any difficulties? I mean totally different menus, settings, toolbars, etc? Because I dont want to "le-learn" this again.
I mean I want to learn new things, but I have a job to do, and always have deadlines.

I hope my question makes sense. :)

thanks!

2023-02-27, 21:17:00
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No, most if not all settings have stayed, and a few new have appeared. Corona will prompt you to switch to a few new features (refraction behavior, bloom and glare) but you can choose to go with the old settings and switch later. You will see a new physical material but the old will still work as it did before.
Some of the experimental tracing engines have been removed but they were never set as default (and didn't work too were limited anyway) so your render result should be the same but with better performance.

One of the few things that may differ is Corona's multi map randomness result.
Another one will probably be handling of masks - these support reflection and refraction now and handling within materials is a bit different. Not sure if this was already in v6 or not...
Can't think of much else right now.

In general, it's totally worth it as there are quite a lot new great features compared to v6. Maybe you can test for a few days it and still go back to v6 if there's a need?
« Last Edit: 2023-02-27, 21:20:26 by pokoy »

2023-02-27, 21:25:26
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
There has been significant changes in Corona since version 6, which inevitably would require some "re-learning". That includes new physical material and completely re-worked tone mapping process. While you can skip physical material at first and still use old Corona material, there's no way to use tone mapping in  "old" way, the one that you are used to. You will have to learn how to use the new one in VFB and in Corona cameras. It's not hard though and you should easily be able to grasp new concept in couple evenings. It's worth the effort, believe me.

If you're afraid to miss the deadlines because you don't have much time to learn new things, you can always install multiple Corona versions in the same 3ds max and use V6 in your day job and learn most recent version at your own pace. https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528349126417-How-to-start-3ds-Max-with-a-specific-version-of-Corona-using-multiloaders-with-Corona-5-and-newer-3ds-Max-
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-02-28, 19:51:48
Reply #3

Snoopymorzsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for the support, guys, I really appreciate it!

now I want to try corona9 with much more confidence