Author Topic: issues with Corona bitmaps  (Read 1051 times)

2023-02-17, 16:07:45

rdunne92

• Users
    • View Profile
We're currently having an issue where corona bitmaps appear low resolution in the viewport, in particular when plugged into the environment tab. We have tried upping the pixel count under the texture display resolution in the viewport configurations but this doesn't seem to change anything. (for reference this does work if we use a regular bitmap but not the corona version).

we also seem to be having an odd issue with the tile setting. For the images we use we have to set the tiling to -1 but if the bitmap refreshes (either by manually reloading it or closing and re-opening max) it automatically flips the image but doesn't alter the tile value. (again this issue doesn't occur with a regular bitmap)

This is all part of our verified camera match set up where the position of the environment map is in reference to the camera rotation and manually aligned to survey points by matching them in the viewport so this has become a bit of a problem.

We have used this process without issues for at least 3 or 4 years and this problem is somewhat recent but is consistent on all our office workstations. I'm not sure if its possible an issue with max 23?

2023-02-17, 16:49:49
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As I 've learned recently, Corona bitmap viewport resolution is affected by the 'baked map resolution' in the viewport setup dialog, not the general texture resolution parameter.

2023-02-17, 17:08:09
Reply #2

rdunne92

• Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately we've tried changing that option as well as any others we can find but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Neither does the size or file type of the bitmap. I've attached the viewport settings we have + a comparison between the corona & regular bitmap

2023-02-17, 17:37:35
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ouch, yeah this doesn't look too good. Sorry for misleading you, I thought it might help.

2023-02-21, 14:41:41
Reply #4

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Can you please try unplugging and re-plugging CoronaBitmap?
Sometime it needs a "refresh" to display correctly.

I have just tested CoronaBitmap and Bitmap in a viewport, and both work identical in relation to quality.
In display performance settings, Viewport Background / Environment is the only thing controlling the environment map quality.

If you can, please provide a simple scene and clear reproduction steps, so we can test and observe the issue(s) on our side as well.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-02-14, 20:47:19
Reply #5

Giovanni Stengel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! Did you find the issue? How can I have hdri corona bitmap viewport resolution good as general bitmap? Changing resolution in "Configure viewports..." doesn't change anything. Thank you.

2024-02-15, 09:11:13
Reply #6

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! Did you find the issue? How can I have hdri corona bitmap viewport resolution good as general bitmap? Changing resolution in "Configure viewports..." doesn't change anything. Thank you.

Hi Giovanni,

There was no "issue" :). CoronaBitmap and Bitmap worked the same, controlling their quality was identical in viewport settings.
If you have an urgent case, you can submit a ticket at: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
and we will proceed in the ticket.

2024-02-28, 16:49:32
Reply #7

Giovanni Stengel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dear Aram (you were my first corona helper!thank you),
I've always had it for as long as I can remember blurred background in the viewport.
Not only with any HDRI image bu also with Corona Sky as you can see in the attachment.

If I use bitmap instead of Corona Bitmap usually the background becomes in focus.

Apart from HDRI, is it normal to have Corona Sky blurred in the viewport background? It would be nice to see thing clearly on viewport too. Thanks!

2024-02-28, 18:14:10
Reply #8

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Some blurring is expected to have fast viewport performance.

In the regards to viewport display and performance, CoronaBitmap and Max Bitmap should be the same.