General Category > General CG Discussion

Best practice to set up a large scene- lots of houses!

<< < (2/2)

Alex Abarca:
I came across a similar situation. I had to model a bunch cookie cutter type houses for a background scene. It was literally thousands of houses. I modeled about 20 types of configurations to the lowest polygon count possible. As you can see in the explainer video I didn't even bother to do thickness on the walls, Finally I applied material randomizers on the roof and walls. I used railclone as you can see in the video it automatically degrades to point cloud when it reaches a high threshold.

Once I modeled the whole scene modeled I didn't open for the rest of the project since it was an xref and the master file was parked in the render manager/backburner. Whenever I needed to render an update I just reactivated the job and it picked up the xref automatically. I do these little short clips for myself to remind me of the dumb stuff I do. :D

davevc:
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing and adding the video. Thats a lots of houses! Hopefully I won't need that many in one scene ever, great to see it can be done though. Xref scenes is definitely the way to go as I am starting to realise. Thanks again.

sebastian___:

--- Quote from: Alex Abarca on 2022-09-01, 08:51:08 ---....I had to model a bunch cookie cutter type houses for a background scene. .....

--- End quote ---

How much RAM was needed to render this kind of scene ?

swindhell:
Hello, I have been working on a lot of large-scale residential/commercial developments for a while now maybe this will help you.

Here's my workflow:
1. You can finalize the type of structure you're going to use then collapse it.
2. I use Sini Software's attach by material/attach objects for optimizing models. This includes the whole site like sidewalks, roads and topo. I would use attach objects per house type then proxy\scatter it.

If you're willing to sacrifice railclone, I think this is the way to go.

davevc:
Hi swindhell
Many thanks for your message, always good to hear how others are doing things.
Interested in looking at the Sini software for attach and optimise, we use Sini for cleaning scenes up but never looked at the other options. Thanks for the heads up on this one, we will take a look for sure
all the best

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version