Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Resolved Bugs

3ds Max Corona support Synced Workflow?

<< < (3/3)

haueryou26:
@romulus
Converting the normal map didnt work. The only way I was able to get a normal map that actually worked with Corona was doing the following
-Set 3ds Max to Normal mode 3ds Max
-Bake normals using scanline from High poly model to low poly model
-Assign normals to Corona shader to get nearly artifact free normals

So technically you can have a synced workflow if you have access to the High Poly asset and can rebake.  This solution however does mean users will not be able to use normals created in any external 3d application.

Note: Not having a synced workflow; aka a workflow where the math that is being used to encode the normals is calculated the same way by the renderer, will result in visual artifacts. However the moment users embrace a  synced workflow, modeling becomes easier, textures are cleaner and you are able to use that asset in many different renderers.

As for test currently the synced workflow I found for Corona isnt supported by other renderers. Vray uses Mikk Tspace along with Scanline. Im currently researching a few other renders to verify

romullus:
Thanks for getting back! So you've baked normals in 3ds Max? I will try this option and will see if it helps. I baked my normal map in Marmoset Toolbag, which lets you to choose which normal space to use and although i baked in 3ds Max space, Corona still renders with some artefacts.

--- Quote from: haueryou26 on 2022-06-14, 15:12:43 ---As for test currently the synced workflow I found for Corona isnt supported by other renderers. Vray uses Mikk Tspace along with Scanline. Im currently researching a few other renders to verify

--- End quote ---

That's interesting. Curious to know if Vray supports MikkT only, or it respects whatever space is set in 3ds Max's settings? Too bad i can't test it myself - i use older max which doesn't support MikkT and i don't have access to Vray. Anyway, it would be greatly appreciated if Corona would spport MikkT too, since it's much more popular than other normal spaces.

haueryou26:
@romullus

Here is a video talking about 3ds Max settings you have to have set if you want an almost synced workflow
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1a2xvBLl8sIi1g9Tnu1BTTy-ema9RRv1q?usp=sharing

romullus:
Thanks for the video, but i'm quite familiar with texture baking and stuff. I haven't had a chance to test how this would work on my model yet, but i will report back if baking in 3ds Max will improve situation or not.

maru:
Moved to https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=36914.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version