Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Feature Requests

Parallax mapping option as an alternative for displacement

(1/8) > >>

Psifinity:
I have used the parallax feature Marmoset Toolbag 3 has and it's honestly pretty great imo for saving a lot of time compared to displacement, whilst still getting the same result when also using a normal map with it. If this isn't too much to ask, I would also to see this supported with Corona as a compromise for those who like the pros of displacement but don't want to deal with any inconvenient issues it may bring and/or just want to save more time. I remember several months back when I saw a message by Ondra 6 years ago saying that "This is too big fake suitable for games, but not for realistic renderer", and while it's true that it's usually good for games, that doesn't necessarily devalue it's efficiency in both games and high-end CG renders imo. I personally don't think that should be a reason to *not* include it, but that's just what I think. Either way, this renderer is pretty great, which is why I think (if it aint too much) it would be great to have both displacement and parallax options for the user.

maru:

--- Quote from: Psifinity on 2019-11-06, 00:39:25 ---"This is too big fake suitable for games, but not for realistic renderer"

--- End quote ---

I am afraid this is still valid, especially with the new displacement. We may consider this if more users ask for it and present some solid use cases.

Psifinity:
It would be pretty aight if you don't mind explaining that in more detail, as last time I checked it has something to do with the raytrace architecture which I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable in terms like that. Also, although this may or may not prove to be a solid case, two ways I'm aware of parallax being quite useful is with eyes and city building interiors; the connection here being parts of an object that don't necessarily cast shadows upon something (and usually normal maps have helped with having parallax interact properly with lighting and shadows, at least on eye textures afaik).

maru:
Maybe this could help?
https://www.racoon-artworks.de/?p=773
I haven't tested it with Corona yet.

maru:
Yep, works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version