Author Topic: Barcelona Pavilion  (Read 6989 times)

2016-09-05, 15:31:48

Rafael Reis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello guys!

Here are some images from the famous Barcelona Pavilion designed by Mies Van Der Rohe. Some textures were captured from the original building.
I have started working with Substance Designer few months ago and this was a good scene to improve my understanding on it.

2016-09-05, 16:06:54
Reply #1

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
great start! somehow I feel your stainless steel is too glossy / shiny, it looks like cheap aluminum at some points - a little more brush / satin might help. If you study the real photos, all the joints between the walls columns and ceiling are siliconed / plastered - meaning the rounded ends of your materials before touching the ceiling seems rather plastic losing the sense of realism. The ceiling needs a little bit of scratches or faint lines marking the irregularity of the final surface (all part and parcel of weathering).

2016-09-05, 16:08:23
Reply #2

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
here's an image of the ceiling with irregularities on it.

2016-09-05, 16:45:42
Reply #3

Rafael Reis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well, this photo that you have posted looks a bit strange to me. The ceiling does contain some imperfection, but I think it's not that much!

2016-09-09, 06:26:29
Reply #4

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The statue shot looks very very real!

I still think I prefer your Unreal video of this project tho, with the music, it was the perfect match!

2016-09-09, 11:02:48
Reply #5

Buzzz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice renders, good textures and materials!

Regards

2016-09-09, 14:39:20
Reply #6

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
wow that substance floor is amazing. How much of the texturing of those scenes is substance?

Is that floor a 4K output 4x4tiles square? I'm still trying to get my head around tiling and output sizes as most of the examples seem to look great on a little shader ball but I wonder how well they tile for arch viz stuff.

2016-09-10, 06:08:44
Reply #7

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
He probably made a seamless floor tiles texture. It's easy to make a seamless texture with the cracks.

And by adding imperfections, scratches, wear, etc you can easily hide tiling, if you happen to see it.

Don't want to sound like a fanboy hehe but if you have a chance go buy his unreal engine playable version of this scene. The travertine is outstanding. It's made with parallax occlusion mapping. You can see how porous the material is when you inspect it up close!
« Last Edit: 2016-09-10, 06:15:56 by philippelamoureux »

2016-09-10, 17:41:40
Reply #8

JacopoGrosso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jacopogrosso.com
Very good work! Very realistic :)