Author Topic: New Rebusfarm limit on passes (non-distributed renders)  (Read 4798 times)

2019-11-05, 19:12:19

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a notice for people using Corona with Rebusfarm:
(This is not official. I'm just a customer who has realised this by trial and error, followed by contacting Rebusfarm support today)

As of an update to the Rebusfarm plugin today, there is a limit on the maximum number of passes you can specify when rendering non-distributed*. Maximum is now set at 400 passes.

This seems to be by design as part of the update. I've asked for a bit more information from Rebusfarm support and am waiting to hear back.
I don't currently know if it's possible for customers currently in the middle of a project to roll back to an earlier version of the plugin without the limitation so they can finish their work with consistency. This is one of the questions I've asked about.

*I don't think this limit is imposed on distributed renders - scene checking with distributed render does not throw up the same error that occurs when trying to exceed 400 passes non-distributed. That's all I know.

I don't know if this would be of concern to anyone here in terms of them providing the most viable service?
I'm currently preparing a flythrough animation of a complicated interior I've tested to the point that I feel 600 passes are necessary. Maybe that's too unusual to cater for. I'm awaiting to hear of a reason for the change anyway.

2019-11-06, 06:38:49
Reply #1

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you consider instead of throwing money to rebus to hire someone who will optimize your scene for 100-200pass max? I never render 200+ but i know this was also too much with wrong setup.

2019-11-06, 12:03:29
Reply #2

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you consider instead of throwing money to rebus to hire someone who will optimize your scene for 100-200pass max? I never render 200+ but i know this was also too much with wrong setup.

I am interested to know if 400 passes is typically enough for every situation for most users, so thanks that's good insight.
For my own part I'm generally much happier to keep a scene complicated and make up the extra cost associated with that choice myself.
I'm a freelancer who works in isolation so my main source for comparison is info from this forum - I will have a look at suggestions for optimisation.

An issue I was having previously with this scene was that individual test frames would look okay in terms of noise at a lower level of passes but animations revealed swimming noise in GI in some areas, glossy reflections in others.
Therefore, the testing itself gets more time consuming, expensive and speculative (having to test sequences of animations in motion rather than being able to rely on individual frames).
So, yes, 600 may seem high but I am at least confident that I had something that worked and I'm not going to be spending money on final renders that I can't use.

Anyhow, this choice on the users part is a separate issue from the fact that some period of notice to the changes in Rebusfarm's capacity would have been professionally sound.
They do invite customers to buy credit for the service based on the principle of a few test renders working to the customer's satisfaction.
If renders can run at 600 passes one day and then cannot do so the next day without prior notice this is not great practice.
I've yet to hear back from them whether it's possible to temporarily bypass the limit though. Maybe they'll offer a solution.

2019-11-07, 17:47:20
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't see a reason why there should be any pass limit, or any other limit needed. I can easily imagine a scene that needs more than 400 passes - for example with heavy DOF or motion blur, hair, fine textures, etc.
We will contact Rebus about this, since I would be interested even in just understanding what is the reasoning behind this.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-11-28, 15:06:52
Reply #4

NicoB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej,

I just found out,
that the new update to the Farminizer has set the option
for limiting the render settings to a fixed pass limit.

So now you MUST set a pass limit (400 for now).
You cannot only work with the noise level limit for now!

The support said, the Devs decided this because they think its enough :)

Am I wrong, or am I right by thinking this isnt enough in most cases.

Please anyone who also wants to work purely with the noise level limit,
write to Rebus and tell them to reset this, so we can put a zero in the passes field.
I think this will work if we call them to.

Thanks guys!
& all the best
Nico

2019-11-28, 15:15:15
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Merged topics to not discuss same things over and over again.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-28, 15:31:40
Reply #6

NicoB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry Romullus,
I havent noticed.

2019-11-28, 15:42:57
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No problem at all!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-29, 13:34:52
Reply #8

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just checked back in on Rebusfarm support about this. I had a response on the 19th:

They said that the pass limit was introduced because they were experiencing many complaints from users who'd set passes to 0 and were using noise limit only - resulting in lots of claims for refunds.
After observing many Corona jobs on the farm and running some tests internally they came up with the figure of 400 as a limit that could cope with any situation.

They did suggest that they were open to increasing the maximum amount and it wouldn't be a problem if there were users who felt this was necessary in some cases.

I've just replied to say that I felt it was too low for some cases and that ideally 0 passes should still be an option, perhaps with a big warning note about potential render times if set to 0.

Also suggested that they start a thread on the forum here to assess support for this request.

Don't know if you got anywhere with talking to them about this Maru?

2019-11-29, 13:43:21
Reply #9

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Ricky,

I'm also a freelancer doing animations. I was used to rebus and it worked quite well then I tried ranchcomputing and I was not disappointed or missing anything: https://www.ranchcomputing.com/fr . It works nicely, the launching process is easy and it's cheaper.

2019-11-29, 14:24:05
Reply #10

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Ricky,

I'm also a freelancer doing animations. I was used to rebus and it worked quite well then I tried ranchcomputing and I was not disappointed or missing anything: https://www.ranchcomputing.com/fr . It works nicely, the launching process is easy and it's cheaper.

Thanks Fluss,

I looked at 2 alternatives, when this happened with Rebus a few weeks back. Ranch was one of them and GarageFarm the other. They both seemed pretty good.
I used GarageFarm in the end for the project but it was a very close call. I think it was just upload speed to GarageFarm seemed quicker for me at the time.

So yes, I agree there are good alternatives to Rebusfarm out there (without the pass limitation).

2019-11-29, 17:35:45
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I have also heard the "users were demanding refunds for the 0 limit" explanation.
I have once again pinged Rebus to take a look at this forum thread.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-11-29, 17:42:07
Reply #12

rebus_penagos

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

we removed the block of the max number of passes. This was done to avoid further complains by other users where scenes rendered up to 2000 passes.

Now it will only be pointed as a warning. If you set for example.

PassLimit = 800
NoiseLevel = 2.0

then the farminizer will give you a warning about the amount of passes. In our system it will render the passes until the noise level is reached.

Eventually at pass 175/800 it will be done, meaning you only pay for that amount of time.

Please give it another try and let me know if it does not work.

Regards,
Agustin Penagos