Author Topic: Warehouse conversion  (Read 41672 times)

2015-02-01, 13:06:34
Reply #45

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Just a small opposite of me...

Well...for me is missing the rich blacks. On the end you almost lost all shadows. If you have a lot light on the scene ( you have an big windows), than you have to get much rich shadows. Because this light is strong for me...and... The floor to overexposed (for what ?) and you missied to correcting the shadows. On the first pic you have shadows under the table, but the final, almost all lost.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you have to strech the lights and the shadows (white and blacks) more widely... Just always check the histogram...And on the Camera Raw, use the white and blacks's clamp options. Is there on the corners of the histogram. This is good way to avoid the flat renders.

Keymaster have right, you try to achieve the final render with correct exposure. That's more valuable. Just equalize the cam's setup with your lights intensity. If you have brigter light, than this one, that's good...Than you render should be underexposed with 2-3 stops.

When you feel the HDRI goin' to "rainbow" ( if you have full HDRI ), just use some color correction on it, and If you want to  use the background in render, than just put the background in light material and use like the lighting, make color correction and equalize with the other lights and exposure...Playing...you know !? ;)
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2015-02-01, 13:22:23
Reply #46

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your post processing run down Daniel! I might have to look into Arion, I like what I'm seeing.

As for the other replies in this thread about keeping the exposure closer to the final desired look, am I correct in stating that to use this kind of workflow the highlight compression spinner in Corona should be left at 1 and only changes I should be making is to the exposure value? What is an "acceptable" amount of burnouts, or does it not really matter if I'm saving the file as a 32bit exr?
Vray who?

2015-02-01, 13:41:06
Reply #47

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, each issue separately :- )

Vray does (in bucket mode !!) take into account the intensity to decide how much sampling is necessary, and slightly under-exposed image thus render fasters. But what that in actuallity means, if you need to drastically recover blacks,
they will be noisy, since not enough samples were used.
Vray Progressive, does uniform sampling, just like Corona, so it pretty much doesn't matter. But since Vray 3.0+ also uses MIS (by default on=20, can be off), correct exposure is necessary to keep correct brightness, otherwise the MIS will cut away too
many bright primary rays, not just caustics, the whole image will have lesser contrast with brightest parts simply clamped down.

In Corona progressive sampler, the exposure shouldn't affect render times (as in render speed in rays/s) but since it affects MIS, it can introduce more noise to be sampled. But you won't end up with clamped highlights from MIS (mostly visible in brightest reflection and white walls).

Ok got it! Thanks for the info :) You can learn something new every day!

Just a small opposite of me...

Well...for me is missing the rich blacks. On the end you almost lost all shadows. If you have a lot light on the scene ( you have an big windows), than you have to get much rich shadows. Because this light is strong for me...and... The floor to overexposed (for what ?) and you missied to correcting the shadows. On the first pic you have shadows under the table, but the final, almost all lost.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you have to strech the lights and the shadows (white and blacks) more widely... Just always check the histogram...And on the Camera Raw, use the white and blacks's clamp options. Is there on the corners of the histogram. This is good way to avoid the flat renders.

Keymaster have right, you try to achieve the final render with correct exposure. That's more valuable. Just equalize the cam's setup with your lights intensity. If you have brigter light, than this one, that's good...Than you render should be underexposed with 2-3 stops.

When you feel the HDRI goin' to "rainbow" ( if you have full HDRI ), just use some color correction on it, and If you want to  use the background in render, than just put the background in light material and use like the lighting, make color correction and equalize with the other lights and exposure...Playing...you know !? ;)

Thanks for you feedback. I don´t understand everything you said though... However I do agree that the floor is slightly overexposed and some shadows could be a bit stronger but everyone has different tastes :) I never use full HDRI and the background buildings are 3D.

Thanks for your post processing run down Daniel! I might have to look into Arion, I like what I'm seeing.

As for the other replies in this thread about keeping the exposure closer to the final desired look, am I correct in stating that to use this kind of workflow the highlight compression spinner in Corona should be left at 1 and only changes I should be making is to the exposure value? What is an "acceptable" amount of burnouts, or does it not really matter if I'm saving the file as a 32bit exr?

No problem! The demo version has watermarks all over the image so it´s kind of hard to see what you´re doing though..

Keeping highlight compression at 1 is correct for linear workflow and saving out 32-bit exr-files. You can compress highlights and save out what you see in VFB as a png,jpg or something else. I´m not sure so if someone knows for sure please correct me :)

2015-02-01, 13:42:51
Reply #48

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It doesn't matter because with 1.0= linear file, you're able to recover everything, and do your own tone-mapping in post-production. Open such file in any post-production tool, and keep sliding exposure slider, you will understand the literal meaning of "linear" :- ) and its benefits.

You can also do it lazy way, and do some tonemapping in Corona (1.01-999) and still save as 32bit .exr, you will still be able to recover stuff and make some exposure adjustments within limits.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-02-01, 13:50:30
Reply #49

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It doesn't matter because with 1.0= linear file, you're able to recover everything, and do your own tone-mapping in post-production. Open such file in any post-production tool, and keep sliding exposure slider, you will understand the literal meaning of "linear" :- ) and its benefits.

You can also do it lazy way, and do some tonemapping in Corona (1.01-999) and still save as 32bit .exr, you will still be able to recover stuff and make some exposure adjustments within limits.

Exactly, the same it you open up a good HDRI and change the exposure, really easy to see benefits of linear and 32-bit exr :)

2015-02-02, 00:03:30
Reply #50

daveyt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
excellent work thanks for sharing your post production workflow..

2015-02-02, 03:07:29
Reply #51

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Images doesn't seem to load anymore?

Awesome images! Really like contrast and tonality.

And i tend to agree with Jakub. Blacks are little bit washed out (to my eye). 

Nice set of images! Would you mind giving a quick run down of your post processing workflow for the image you showed? It looks extremely dark - I'm quite amazed how much you managed to brighten it up.

Any advantages of rendering darker and then brightening up in post as opposed to rendering something that's closer to the desired final look?

Thanks guys! I like to render out images without any overexposed areas and then bring back as much exposure as possible. I tend to change and experiment with post-production but here´s a short breakdown of the post-production for these images:

01 Raw render, rendered out as a 32-bit exr-file.

02 ArionFx settings.

03 Result after ArionFx.

04 Camera Raw settings.

05 Result after Camera Raw.

06 Final adjustments and final image.

2015-02-02, 07:41:01
Reply #52

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Awesome images! Really like contrast and tonality.

And i tend to agree with Jakub. Blacks are little bit washed out (to my eye). 

Nice set of images! Would you mind giving a quick run down of your post processing workflow for the image you showed? It looks extremely dark - I'm quite amazed how much you managed to brighten it up.

Any advantages of rendering darker and then brightening up in post as opposed to rendering something that's closer to the desired final look?

Thanks guys! I like to render out images without any overexposed areas and then bring back as much exposure as possible. I tend to change and experiment with post-production but here´s a short breakdown of the post-production for these images:

01 Raw render, rendered out as a 32-bit exr-file.

02 ArionFx settings.

03 Result after ArionFx.

04 Camera Raw settings.

05 Result after Camera Raw.

06 Final adjustments and final image.

Hi can you re-post these images again..the images are not showing properly.

2015-02-02, 11:12:55
Reply #53

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-02-02, 12:25:05
Reply #54

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I´ve attached the post-production images below.

2015-02-02, 12:47:00
Reply #55

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great images, but for me the left chair are floating. I think it needs a bit of contrast or reflection on the floor.
And the images looks a bit washed.

Anyway for me your images is 9,9/10 this coment its only for that 0,1/10

Best regards

2015-02-02, 18:42:51
Reply #56

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great images, but for me the left chair are floating. I think it needs a bit of contrast or reflection on the floor.
And the images looks a bit washed.

Anyway for me your images is 9,9/10 this coment its only for that 0,1/10

Best regards

Thanks for you feedback! The chair seems to float because of the high exposure of the floor.

2015-02-02, 19:32:23
Reply #57

Tetsuoo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
o_O I didn't read every post but to me there's nothing wrong with blacks or whatever. This looks so real ! (the bag is a photo right ? Right ? x)
I need to understand how it works, I have to work harder x)

2015-02-03, 04:53:40
Reply #58

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I´ve attached the post-production images below.

Actually a surprisingly simple workflow... not the tools I would have used, but it certainly works!  If the base is good, less really is more.

2015-02-03, 11:35:13
Reply #59

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
o_O I didn't read every post but to me there's nothing wrong with blacks or whatever. This looks so real ! (the bag is a photo right ? Right ? x)
I need to understand how it works, I have to work harder x)

Thank you! No, everything is 3D... ;)

Actually a surprisingly simple workflow... not the tools I would have used, but it certainly works!  If the base is good, less really is more.

I tend to experiment with my post-production with almost every project. This particular workflow would perhaps not work with another type of image. Yes, sometimes less is more and if you have a good base you don´t need a complex time-consuming post-production :)