Author Topic: Memory optimization - discuss please  (Read 15836 times)

2017-03-24, 22:19:52
Reply #15

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I do think this should be pointed out somewhere as I have seen people asking for help with what kind of spec machine they should buy to run corona and having 32gb machine recommended by part of your team.

I would personally start suggesting 64gb as minimum for current workstations, I do run out of it constantly on machines where I have it.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-04-24, 17:20:39
Reply #16

zules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGINEER
The RAM usages described here are probably expected. Each render element requires some RAM. Denoising requires extra render elements, which are not visible to the user. Adaptivity also requires additional RAM (that's why RAM/CPU usage may be changed every 5 passes).

That's interesting... so you could add a check box to render but hide Lightselect RE or not ? Maybe I didnt see how to do that already..?
Using PSDManager, I'm removing those RE everytime from it...
Jules GAILLARD

www.imagineer.fr

2017-04-25, 18:45:18
Reply #17

tony_morev

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the most useful thing we miss compared to v-ray is fully functional proxies
not just a viewport gimmick, but something that actually allows to save RAM while rendering
instancing helps, but only to a point 

2017-04-25, 18:52:13
Reply #18

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think Vray proxys are effecient in bucket mode coz you can load geometry dynamically when it's needed. I don't know if it could be acheived with a progressive render engine.

2017-05-17, 22:53:56
Reply #19

Daniel Schmidt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • psd-manager
That's interesting... so you could add a check box to render but hide Lightselect RE or not ? Maybe I didnt see how to do that already..?
Using PSDManager, I'm removing those RE everytime from it...

@zules - you can control manually if an element is added to the PSD or not by toggling the Create Layer/Channel checkbox in the render elements rollout. If you right click on a render element in the list of render elements a popup menu opens and lets you save new default options for this type of render element (e.g. CShading_LightSelect). However, I just noticed that this preset does currently NOT include the option if the element is added to the PSD or not.

Would it help you if this was changed in psd-manager (so you could exclude LightSelect elements from export in psd-manager by default)?

Daniel

2017-05-19, 10:47:16
Reply #20

zules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGINEER
Yes that's a good trick, thank you Daniel.
Jules GAILLARD

www.imagineer.fr