Author Topic: [solved] God's rays issue  (Read 2220 times)

2022-08-26, 21:43:51

EmiraC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello community,
Hope you're all doing fine.

So I've been trying corona for the past two years and I'm still frustrated that I've never got the god's ray to work with volumetrics.
Tried all tutorials, all values, all colors, position of sun/intensity and cameras.

Nothing worked in two years, I've read about someone having the same issue with me and someone else suggested to change in performance tab (with dev tools) the env. distance which I did too..
Nothing changed.
So I've created this simple scene and was wondering if someone could try out it for me and see what if I'm doing wrong for two years LOL.

Feel free to change the scene, move the boxes or anything, I'm jsut looking for help because right now I want to improve and understand what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any help provided community :)
« Last Edit: 2022-09-02, 15:20:58 by maru »

2022-08-27, 05:04:56
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Creating Room with God Rays Playlist @ Corona's YT channel

2022-08-27, 07:24:57
Reply #2

EmiraC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Burnin,

thanks for the reply, however I specified that I watched all possible tutorials, even the ones with the forest scene and from other people too..
but none worked, I understood the concept but in 2 years was never able to achieve it..

2022-08-27, 11:06:56
Reply #3

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
For what I know, there should be some scene settings met to be able to achieve "God Rays" effect, or at least make them visible.
The scene should be in the shadows, so dark or relatively dark. Look at the references you will probably see almost all of them have a dark image (in shadow cast from other objects), where rays are distinguished (going through trees or small window).
That is the thing, if you work with clients immediately mos of them would say "It's too dark, keep the rays, but make it bright", which you cant.
So you need contrasty dark scene with a bright light (usually sun), then you can add the volumetric.
For Corona I would advise not to use the Global volume material for this case, as the volume material would need to be dense to achieve that contrast we need. And on global volume it affects the lighting too, as the sun gets dispersed in the fog.
You need to create a box for every camera and give it a volume material, but leave camera out of the box, so it does not affect it. Play with the settings like in the tutorial burning offered, also do not forget to turn on single bounce only as that makes it a little more contrast in volume. That is it probably.

To the devs: thinking now about this, is it possible in the future to add a distance from camera in which the fog starts, like a minimum value similar to clipping.

2022-08-27, 11:19:44
Reply #4

EmiraC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
 BardhylM, thanks a ton for your details
sure tried the box method but I'm going to make sure this time to make a very strong contrast for it to happen :)
will see.
Yeah totally agree about the camera distance.

2022-08-27, 11:30:01
Reply #5

BardhylM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hey, glad if I helped in any way, hope you achieve it how you like it.

2022-08-28, 23:57:12
Reply #6

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would be good, if you'd show a reference of what you wish to produce.

2022-08-30, 10:06:30
Reply #7

EmiraC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello again,sorry for late reply.
So Burnin acutally I'm trying to get a very sharp and visible god's ray like in these two pictures (from google , corona render god's ray

I never managed to get even soft rays , I only get a very global and vague fog using the volume global material.
But then again I'll try in a few days again by making a very strong constrast as suggested here to see if it works.

2022-08-30, 11:40:19
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here is the original scene with godrays. I added horizontal bars to see them better (they were not so visible with vertical blocks only).
I did have to go to the devel/experimental stuff rollout and lower the enviro distance, and then also lower the volumetric material's absorption distance. After some tweaking it worked, but I have to agree that it was kind of tricky to get the rays to show up.
I will look into this some more to find out if there were some changes that could affect this.

Corona 8 HF2, Max 2022

Update: I made another simple scene from scratch and it is rather easy to get godrays even without adjusting the env distance setting. I think you were just extremely unlucky about the objects of your choice and the camera position.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-30, 11:48:48 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-31, 06:37:59
Reply #9

EmiraC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh Maru thanks a ton , can't thank you enough so really it was a problem with the env distance ! I didn't experiment that too much, and for the bars yes it added more contrast so may be that's why it makes them more visible

Oh yeah I think that since I've never been able to do it in 2 years (not that I'm trying in every render also LOL), it means yes I'm missing something with the cam position and objects as you said :) I'll try again and again to see..

2022-08-31, 15:24:49
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In the second scene I got the godrays pretty much "out of the box", without changing the enviro distance. Feel free to experiment with my scenes and maybe you can also try creating your own from scratch.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-02, 11:29:30
Reply #11

EmiraC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah Maru that's what I will do, in worst case, I'll keep your scene as a reference and bring in my project into it but before that I'll try a new scene to see :D
Haven't found time to experiment it yet

2022-09-02, 15:56:56
Reply #12

EmiraC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Maru, updating with a test scene I made after exploring yours
I opened a new file and tried on my own after seeing what you did, also I played with values, cam position as you said and added more contrast, I think I was missing that on my old photos like everything was bright so...hard to get a god's ray physcially that's normal...
Now I finally got it and of course the more you add elements and obstacles the more you see the rays along with playing with the directionnality value.

But I did thanks to all of you guys, esp Maru :D Had I known, I would have asked the question 2 years ago LOL.
Thanks a ton guys :D
« Last Edit: 2022-09-02, 16:07:02 by EmiraC »