Author Topic: Gpu rendering  (Read 19015 times)

2017-10-11, 05:07:29
Reply #15

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
flipped the enironment of the fstorm version to match the Corona version, and it made quite a big difference to fstorm render times.  Around 3 times slower than before.

2017-10-12, 02:56:42
Reply #16

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can do by yourself!
I'm my original thread, you can download the FStom .max file and the Corona .max file.

--- LINK---

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_i7C0g1XqRMN1lodFNUb1d5REk

I'm not FStom user, sorry. I used the FStom DEMO version, one year ago.

If you will do the test, please, post the result ;-)

Ahh, I had hoped you were.  Neither are we, and we don't have access to the newest version of it. Maybe someday, once it's available, I can take a whack at it.

I've downloaded the scene provided by cecofuli, and rendered in corona 1.6.3 and also fstorm 1.1.10.  I didnt change any settings in the corona version apart from changing it from a 15 minute render to a 1.5% noise level instead.  In corona I rendered it on one i7-7700k running at stock speeds, 32 gb ddr4 ram.  In Fstorm I used a gtx1070 gpu (also shared by windows). To get it rendering in Fstorm I just changed the renderer, hit convert from the render tools panel, pumped up the lights considerably and then tweaked the tone mapping so the images roughly matched.  Results attached.

Corona 2 hours and 10 minutes rendered to 1.5% noise.
Fstorm 25 minutes also rendered to 1.5% noise.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-12, 03:05:49 by 3di »

2017-10-12, 06:22:45
Reply #17

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
O_o shit! 2 housr vs 25 minutes ?! what a very interesting comparison.
Can anyone here provide the most fair scene for renderEngine comparison purpose? honestly, I'm doubting the current scene somehow.
does fStorm support Radeon GPU? and where can I download the Fstorm demo version (stupidly I cant find the download link)? :D

2017-10-12, 09:18:21
Reply #18

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I really do not want to get involved in this, so just one note for now:
1,5% noise limit is probably a different thing in Corona than in fstorm. In Corona it is an overkill, as values between 3 and 5 should usually produce good results. You can see that the Corona rendering is very smooth, while in the fstorm example there is still some noise visible (e.g. at the top of the image).
Other than that, 2 hours is definitely too long to get good quality on a 7700k, so it was either rendered for too long, or there are some issues in the scene, which affect render time.

I think a bit more fair comparison would be like this:
-make a scene render to acceptable quality in fstorm in the lowest time you can
-then try to beat this score in Corona
(or vice versa)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-10-12, 09:35:31
Reply #19

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
..1,5% noise limit is probably a different thing in Corona than in fstorm..
noted

2017-10-12, 13:31:53
Reply #20

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Of corse that it's different! =) A hahah Just too on the white furniture or on the ceiling.

Corona is almost ZERO noise, FStorm has a lot of noise (please, post PNG and not JPG)
For a good comparison, you should post the same rendering time, not the same noise level ;-)

2017-10-12, 13:50:45
Reply #21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
For a good comparison, you should post the same rendering time
...which is dependent on render settings, bias...
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-10-12, 14:41:18
Reply #22

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, i'll re-render to times instead of noise.  I'm pretty new to fstorm so i'm not yet sure how to optimise the render settings for that engine yet.  Corona looks pretty well optimised though.  Settings are are all default more or less, portals in place, albedo all good.

@Maru.  Do you fancy checking the scene to see if anything can be optimised?  I'd be interested to see if we can speed corona up any.  I might even learn something! :)  The link is above in cecofuli's post.

2017-10-12, 14:45:21
Reply #23

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
O_o shit! 2 housr vs 25 minutes ?! what a very interesting comparison.
Can anyone here provide the most fair scene for renderEngine comparison purpose? honestly, I'm doubting the current scene somehow.
does fStorm support Radeon GPU? and where can I download the Fstorm demo version (stupidly I cant find the download link)? :D

Hi Christa, it's nvidia only I beleive.  For any questions regarding the engine though, such as availability etc then your probably best messaging the page admin over on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FStormGroup/

2017-10-12, 14:53:48
Reply #24

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi guys, i'll re-render to times instead of noise.  I'm pretty new to fstorm so i'm not yet sure how to optimise the render settings for that engine yet.  Corona looks pretty well optimised though.  Settings are are all default more or less, portals in place, albedo all good.

No doubt, eventually they will steer you to the settings where Fstorm will start rendering slower than Corona :]]]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-10-12, 15:01:38
Reply #25

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile

No doubt, eventually they will steer you to the settings where Fstorm will start rendering slower than Corona :]]]

I can't believe that.  Maru has been very helpful.  He even just private messaged me to let me know that an older geforce fx series graphics card may help me clear up the noise faster in fstorm :p  Just kidding Maru :)

2017-10-12, 15:36:22
Reply #26

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Of course that rendering time will depend of the hardware.
If we use a Geforce 560 vs Ryzen it won't be a realistic match =)
And, an opposite side, it isn't realistic to use a i7 920 vs 1080 GTX .

but, in this situation a 7700k (300 euro) vs 1070GTX (400 euro) can be a good compromise.

But, it's absolutely better to use rendering time instead % of noise.

2017-10-12, 15:45:46
Reply #27

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yep, just doing a rendering time test instead.  I may have been doing fstorm an injustice.  Apparently I should have been using the latest nvidia drivers for a 20% boost in render times.

2017-10-12, 15:55:22
Reply #28

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And, from Corona "Injustice" =) , you should use a AMD Ryzen 7 1800 (400 euro) and you will have 70% of boost in Corona ;-)

PS: Maybe you have to reset Corona setting. I see some strange jagged edges on the window. Maybe some old, hide setting inside my old file.. I don't know...

2017-10-12, 16:05:57
Reply #29

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ah ok, cool i'll try resetting the settings.