Author Topic: AnnieC - WiP - learning Corona (and 3D)  (Read 10309 times)

2014-10-01, 01:28:14
Reply #15

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes those are holding the glass panels but the glass is quite hard to see currently. In reality these panels are mostly scratched up by stupid kids,  and that makes them more visible, otherwise they can be hardly seen when they are clean. Maybe adding those scratches would be enough to make them more visible. If not, I'll try fiddle with the refraction or IOR values. Thanks for the tips.

2014-10-01, 01:50:54
Reply #16

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If you got real glass set up (reflectivity and refraction at 1, and both IORs at 1.52) then all you really need to do is to find some scratches texture and put it into reflection glossiness map slot and the same one also in bump map slot (also remember to reduce bump value down, since it's quite strong by default) Most of the map should be completely white, with just a few darker scratches. That will ensure reflection stays mirror sharp, except for scratched areas. You can always tweak that using RGB Level and RGB Offset parameters in output rollout of bitmap. :)

Alternatively you could get some physically based stupid kid simulator plugin and simulate those scratches.

2014-10-01, 02:08:29
Reply #17

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi AnnieC. Just to clarify - I had no problems seeing the glass. I really like your work so far, and is looking forward to se how it progress.

The model looks very accurate, so I was wondering: Did you model it all in Max or did you use other programs too?

Keep it coming :)

2014-10-01, 07:57:50
Reply #18

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm, now that you say Rawalanche, I checked my glass material and it was not set up correctly. It seems I did not think it through, just blindly applied some values I found for glass somewhere. Reflectivity was at 0.7, refraction at 1, Fresnel IOR was 1.98 and IOR at 1.52. I corrected it now. I had a feeling something is not quite right with the glass, and remembered vaguely that the IOR should be lower, but it did not seem to be an issue at the time and then forgot about it. :)

Thanks for the useful input about the scratched surface, I would have probably gone in the same direction with the material setup eventually but it is always good when experienced people confirm that I'm going in the right direction.
Hehe, maybe my next programming project will be a physically based stupid kid simulator plugin :)))

I will need to have some graffiti tags on these glass panels too, so I thought I would set this up in a similar way as the scratches. One mostly white map with black "writing" on it connected to Refraction Color and then connect the same map to Diffuse, Refl. Color and Refl. Gloss too, just with different color correction filters to adjust the final look.
It seems I can achieve the looks I want with this method but is this the best way to do it?

Thanks PROH, the model was made entirely in Max. Sometimes I find Max to be frustrating after Rhino when I want to be totally accurate, but I decided to stick with it so I could learn.
I have some information about the dimensions of these trains and have some drawings of them. As it turned out, the data I have is not 100% accurate. The local transport company trusted the dimensions on the drawings but when they built a station based on these drawings they found that the whole train is a few meters longer than what they expected :D So there is a lot of measuring involved in the process when the security is not watching and a lot of educated guesses on my part which can be especially hard when I can't even see the real subway wagon myself, only rely on measurements and pictures taken by others.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-01, 08:04:54 by AnnieC »

2014-10-03, 17:37:26
Reply #19

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
By peeking through the window, the emergency door opener and its sign can be seen which I added quickly when I couldn't sleep. Hopefully I will be able to add the missing minor details this weekend.

2014-10-11, 22:36:03
Reply #20

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Last weekend I made a todo list for the interior, it had more than 40 items on it, and I could only finish little more than half of them in the available time, and as always I found new things to improve, so the list got bigger. I finished the modeling of the back of the train which was the most neglected part until now and added a lot of little details which can only be seen from a close distance. I still did not refine the seat texture and mapping but I have a lot of ideas to do it, just no time to do it. As I don't know Russian I needed a little help and spent quite some time to recreate the exact text and font on a sign above one of the doors.
I made some new renders, but they do not show much of the new details so there will more renders along the way.

« Last Edit: 2014-10-11, 23:55:58 by AnnieC »