Author Topic: AnnieC - WiP - learning Corona (and 3D)  (Read 10302 times)

2014-09-26, 21:56:05

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all!

I will occasionally post pictures here about some stuff I'm working on. As I'm a beginner feedback is always welcome.

In my spare time I'm modeling a subway train which was used in our country until a few years ago. The model was originally intended for gaming purposes but I was curious to see how it would look rendered with Corona so I began to set up the scene for rendering. The 3D model, the textures and texture mapping is unfinished, a lot of small details are still missing, I'm working on it.

I am not sure if I'm doing everything correctly with the lighting. I want to create physically correct lighting so I modeled the internal parts of the lamps and tried to set up the materials based on my very basic knowledge. The only light sources are the simplified light bulbs inside the lamps, as it would be when the train is in a dark tunnel.

I have attached two versions of the rendered image and the material settings of the lamp shell and the light bulbs.

Am I going in the right direction if I want recreate the real lighting conditions?
« Last Edit: 2014-09-26, 22:19:21 by AnnieC »

2014-09-26, 22:04:34
Reply #1

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Attached the screenshots of the material settings to this post.

2014-09-26, 22:24:59
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There's no need to overdo it with physically based lighting. It doesn't mean you need to model light fixtures exactly as in real world. It may actually often make rendertimes skyrocket. So just placing regular spherical CoronaLights is often enough. What you did with CoronaLightMTL was quite good choice for this scene.

Renders look good, but i think that seat cushion texture is the weakest part. It looks quite lowres, lacks some randomness (deformations, scratching, stains) or something that would break up texture tiling at least little bit, and there are obvious UV seams on the top. :)

So far it looks quite photorealistic. It's just missing some glares around light sources. You can never photograph such bright light without getting any kind of glare. Like on this picture:

2014-09-26, 22:50:38
Reply #3

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
'
Thank you for your feedback! I agree about the seat cushion textures and mapping, they are quite bad right now, I did not spend much time on it yet. I'm supposed to get more high res pictures of the seats soon to make the textures better but it's not easy when the trains are guarded by security :D If I can't get more pictures I will get creative :)

2014-09-26, 22:52:23
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
You can always create them procedurally, or find some texture that is close, and adjust it a bit in PS. Or do both...  find some texture that matches, and mix it with procedural textures :)

2014-09-27, 22:15:59
Reply #5

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had a little time on my hands, tried to add some glow.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-27, 22:24:17 by AnnieC »

2014-09-29, 08:47:20
Reply #6

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Composition wise it would be nice to introduce some center poles like you can see on Rawalanche's reference I guess. Good job already!

2014-09-29, 09:35:03
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Composition wise it would be nice to introduce some center poles like you can see on Rawalanche's reference I guess. Good job already!

Well, if it's 1:1 real world model recreation, then unless those poles are there in the real subway wagon, i would not put them in in the CG one.

2014-09-29, 14:00:45
Reply #8

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Well, if it's 1:1 real world model recreation, then unless those poles are there in the real subway wagon, i would not put them in in the CG one.

Thanks for the comments. I do not understand why didn't the local transport company add center poles when they refurbished these trains but they don't have it in real life, of course the trains which are now used on the same line have center poles.  I will just add the missing hanging handholds.

2014-09-30, 14:55:48
Reply #9

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Added the handholds and tinkered with the textures and mapping  a little bit(only changed the mapping on the seats in the center). Still not satisfied with the seats, I will experiment further. There are a lot of other little details missing like some screws, holes for speakers, little decals and some objects need more detail to look like the real one.

« Last Edit: 2014-09-30, 16:08:55 by AnnieC »

2014-09-30, 16:24:30
Reply #10

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The first picture is just a little experiment with DoF, the second is a render of a part I'm making for the driver cabin.

2014-09-30, 17:46:23
Reply #11

RolandB

• Active Users
  • Corona fan
    • View Profile
    • Béhance portfolio
Wonderful beginnings AnnieC !
Maybe you could, too, add some dirt on the ground. A subway is never clean, and it will give more realism to your final renders...
Congrats anyway !
Roland
Portfolio on Béhance
http://www.behance.net/GCStudio

2014-09-30, 17:59:07
Reply #12

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wonderful beginnings AnnieC !
Maybe you could, too, add some dirt on the ground. A subway is never clean, and it will give more realism to your final renders...
Congrats anyway !
Roland

Thank you for your encouraging words!
I'm planning to add dirt, scratches, graffiti and wear later when I'm finished modeling all the interior parts. Sadly, you are right about this, these trains(or any public transport vehicles in this area for that matter) are not that clean in reality, only when they are new.

2014-09-30, 23:42:53
Reply #13

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What function do those bolts have on top of each part of the side of the bench? There isn't aything attached to it.

edit: I know see that it holds glasspanels, my bad. Perhaps you could lower the refraction value a bit or change the IOR for a less transparant surface.

2014-09-30, 23:47:57
Reply #14

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile