Author Topic: Environment Spinner Multipliers?  (Read 3890 times)

2014-07-07, 18:12:12

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
How do people feel about getting 0 - 1 spinners in the Environment section of Corona? It can be a fast handy way to adjust the strength of maps/colors used in one spot.

It is a feature I use in Vray a lot.

Spinners added in the Picture here.

2014-07-07, 18:46:42
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
You can ultra easily adjust that in the output parameter of the map itself. No reason to clutter render settings UI with that.

2014-07-07, 18:50:15
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
It indeed looks unnecessary... but if more people would think it would save some time... then maybe. So...? ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-07-07, 19:48:16
Reply #3

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Well I guess again I don't want to open a bunch of UI's to edit everything. All the maps are plugged in there. If I want to do some small tweaking to each of those, I can just do it in the environment tab once I have set everything in the output of the maps/colors.... I can play around fast and return it back to 1 to go back to what I set in the maps outputs if needed.

I would not say at all that it looks cluttered or unnecessary, very useful in Vray for me. I do think Vrays looks less cluttered though. I was not proposing that layout but the concept. Why be so reluctant to little things like this? Is it to make Corona more streamlined? All this does is make less mouse clicks for me, and lets me iterate lighting and reflections faster. But to each their own.

Here is Vrays for comparison. Even though I am pretty sure everyone knows.

Edit: I guess I don't want them limited to 0 -1 that was just an example.

2014-07-07, 19:53:18
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Yes, you need to find balance between speed and your UI looking like a friggin nuclear reactor control console :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-07-07, 20:07:55
Reply #5

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Yes, you need to find balance between speed and your UI looking like a friggin nuclear reactor control console :D

Ya, I totally hear you. But I don't feel it makes it look more cluttered. I have always used these options as a way to change parameters without effecting all the map and color settings everywhere. Like the material override.

But I do admire the drive to keep it looking clean and simple. I just worry that it will come at the expense of ease of use for more than just assigning a map to the slot. I can live without it I guess.

2014-07-08, 08:53:29
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The problem i have with other renderers is that environment slot is so short you can not actually read which map is there (the text does not fit in the short button). So introducing these spinners will make slots shorter and one will have to drag the map back into material editor to see which map is that. So it would add some ease of use, but also remove some.

2014-07-08, 16:07:46
Reply #7

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
The problem i have with other renderers is that environment slot is so short you can not actually read which map is there (the text does not fit in the short button). So introducing these spinners will make slots shorter and one will have to drag the map back into material editor to see which map is that. So it would add some ease of use, but also remove some.

Very true. That is why I like that Vrays Text is above all the settings. It allows for more room. If they removed the word multiplier from the spinner there would be tons of room like in the mockup attached.