Author Topic: small 3D Max file takes long to open/save  (Read 1251 times)

2023-01-20, 12:04:42

Hubl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey we have a project that uses many corona proxys such as vegetation and people. The building itself is not special stuff just box modelling. The file Size is saved compressed and its about 35MB.
We saved the Chaos Cosmos libary on our NAS and the scene files also.
When saving or even just opening max freezes for a long time...sometimes up to 10 minutes.

Now we are searching for the reason.
We're using Max 2022 and Corona 9

Do we have to invest in a new Synology NAS or would it gain speed when saving and working with local files?
Any suggestions?

System Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz (not overclocked)
Mainboard ASRock X570 Taichi Razer Edition
DDR4 128 GB RAM  3200 MHz
SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB
2x HDD Western Digital 2 TB
GPU NVIDIA RTX 3060

WIN 10 Pro x64
3D Max 2022.3 6 Security Fix
24,0 - 24.3.6.3521

Thanks in advance!

Alex

« Last Edit: 2023-01-21, 13:14:12 by Hubl »

2023-01-20, 12:42:47
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Compression will take longer since it has to compress/decompress, depending on the file content it might take a while.
How does the file behave when compression is disabled?

2023-01-20, 13:18:16
Reply #2

clemens_at

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How long does it take to load/save locally?

2023-01-21, 01:08:58
Reply #3

Hubl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I disabled compression but it takes 10 minutes or so to open the file. i try to collect all assets with asset collecter and move it on a local harddrive maybe that could fix the problem ... if not i am happy for any suggestions you guys have to offer :-)

2023-01-21, 01:52:22
Reply #4

Hubl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've stopped the time before collect the assets and send them to hard drive and after that.

It tooks 8:30 Minutes to open the file with assest from the NAS System and 7:00 when oppend frome the HDD with all assets also collected and stored on the HDD.
so the difference is 1:30 minute.

The collected Assets Proxys / Bitmaps are 6.2GB big. Is there a way to improve the opening time?
Do i need to buy faster Hardware?
Or is there something I can do about that slow opening porcess? I mean there are scenes way bigger than this and people can handle them much better ... I guess ...

/edit:
System Specs:
GPU NVIDIA RTX 3060

WIN 10 Pro x64
« Last Edit: 2023-01-21, 12:30:29 by Hubl »

2023-01-21, 09:03:02
Reply #5

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
8 minutes is too long even for a large scene. Also keep in mind proxies usually make the scene open faster since the data is external.

How long does it take to open an empty scene?

Try copy/paste this directory to your desktop as a backup then delete it and restart 3dsmax. If it loads fast then something is corrupt in your ENU folder.

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\your_max_version\ENU

2023-01-21, 12:29:49
Reply #6

Hubl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Open Max with its default template does take 30 seconds. I will try your tip

System Specs:
SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB
2x HDD Western Digital 2 TB
GPU NVIDIA RTX 3060

WIN 10 Pro x64
3D Max 2022.3 6 Security Fix
24,0 - 24.3.6.3521

Thanks in Advance

« Last Edit: 2023-01-21, 13:13:42 by Hubl »

2023-01-21, 13:17:10
Reply #7

Hubl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try copy/paste this directory to your desktop as a backup then delete it and restart 3dsmax. If it loads fast then something is corrupt in your ENU folder.
C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\your_max_version\ENU

Hey James now the scene does take 2:30 minutes to open from HDD. But all my Scripts, Hotkeys and Buttons are lost. Is there a way to backup that kind of stuff so i dont have to reinstall my individual tools? :-)

2023-01-21, 15:17:09
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Regarding the shortcuts and toolbars, you can temporarily restore your ENU folder, start 3ds Max, open customize user interface window, go to each tab and save your custom configuration to external files. After you will delete ENU folder, restart 3ds Max, open customize user interface again and load settings from the files that you saved in the previous step.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-01-21, 17:06:09
Reply #9

Hubl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Regarding the shortcuts and toolbars, you can temporarily restore your ENU folder, start 3ds Max, open customize user interface window, go to each tab and save your custom configuration to external files. After you will delete ENU folder, restart 3ds Max, open customize user interface again and load settings from the files that you saved in the previous step.

hey romullus, the buttons, that were linked to scripts, are back but have no function ... what can i do that help me get my customized stuff back but re-write the coruppted ENU files?

thanks in advance

Alex

2023-01-21, 19:05:13
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Custom scripts are usually saved into ENU\usermacros folder. Try to copy its content from old ENU folder into newly created one.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-01-21, 19:11:33
Reply #11

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well if your scene is now 6 minutes faster to open it means something is broken in your ENU which contains all your UI settings as well as other scripts and things that you normally rely on.

You could try this:

Paste back your ENU folder that you backed up to your desktop.

Load your scene... which will take awhile since obviously something is not functional

Now in 3dsmax do the following:
Customize > Save Custom UI  Scheme > save this somewhere

If you have made your own custom hotkeys then:
Customize > Hotkey Editor > Save as > save this somewhere

Then delete that ENU folder (keep the backup incase)

Start 3dsmax as normal, it should look like defaults.

Select Customize > Load Custom UI Scheme (pick that file you saved)

same with Hotkeys

Restart 3dsmax

You should now have a clean 'ENU' with your UI you are used to.

If something is missing I highly recommend you install the script 1 by 1, reload 3dsmax each time and see if your load times change. If they do its probably related to the very last thing you installed which means you need to investigate/contact the author of that script.

Edit:
To answer your previous question, yes the above settings is what I do to save my UI and hotkeys (toolbars, hotkeys, quad settings, asset tracker etc.). I keep these in a folder in case my ENU gets corrupted and then reload these when that day comes (because it will). I also keep a copy of a working ENU folder for the same reason, since there are other things I'm not aware of in that folder that can possibly be corrupted at a later state... thank you very much Autodesk. So long story short, keep that UI saved, keyboard shortcuts, and the ENU when everything is working well. When the time comes just delete the broken ENU and replace with your saved ENU, if that fails then at least you have the UI and keyboard shortcuts saved separately (without your scripts, the toolbar buttons will be there but they are linked to a missing script, which as I mentioned earlier install 1 by 1 as you troubleshoot).

« Last Edit: 2023-01-21, 20:04:19 by James Vella »