Author Topic: Corona-related values jump off-scale in saved materials  (Read 1372 times)

2022-01-24, 13:07:12

XYZ_wanderer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So here is the issue:
You fine tune a material to the point you save it to your material libraries. Then import it when you need it only to have Corona-related values completely different of what was set.

I had a material with triplanar scale of 400cm saved. Then when I import it from library some other day it becomes 7520cm.
Had a material with AO distance of 50cm, saved it and the time I needed it and imported it the value was 3750cm.

It's really frustrating when you have material just the way you like only to corona to mess everything up. Any ideas what causes this ?

2022-01-24, 13:11:11
Reply #1

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know it's probably obvious but have you checked any possible units mismatch between files?

2022-01-24, 13:14:30
Reply #2

XYZ_wanderer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yeah i always adopt the file scale, but how does that affect the material if you import it after adopting ?

2022-01-24, 13:15:41
Reply #3

XYZ_wanderer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also it seems to only affect corona, I never had issues with 3ds max maps like Noise

2022-01-24, 13:21:15
Reply #4

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have no clue sadly, someone from the Corona team should answer this.

(As far as geometry scaling goes, it's usually trial and error for me - import the model and scale it tenfold etc if its metric or some other random parameter if its imperial, and eyeball it from there lol)

As for Noise and other procedural maps, that may be because those don't follow metric/imperial units as far as I'm aware but Generic units or something like that.

2022-01-24, 14:33:04
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Unfortunately materials in 3ds max are system units agnostic, so if you importing materials in the scene that has different system units that they were saved in, then you will have mismatching scale issue. AFAIK it has nothing to do with Corona and it's the same for all renderers. Usually the difference is 0.1, 10, 2.5, 0.4 and so on, depending on the system units being used. It shouldn't be arbitrary numbers like in your case, unless you have some non orthodox system units setup.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-02-19, 05:53:37
Reply #6

XYZ_wanderer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But its stupid, my 3ds max units are set to cm and it stays like this. I work with cm in SketchUp and import into Max, and when I want to import materials from libraries not just scales jump off, the material gets fu*ked up, for some reason it no longer renders AO, or renders it very weak, even tho everything is set to normal values. It becomes very noisy like it would render with 99 bump and so on. And its right after importing .3ds file to Max, i dont even get units mismatch prompt, but sometimes materials imported from library work well, sometimes the scale is 3175 as opposed to 100, sometimes its 14.7 as opposed to 100. it feels like units mismatch isn't even the problem.