Author Topic: Override material (affect another object)  (Read 2108 times)

2021-10-01, 13:08:28

Jak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, would be great to have an Override material that could be added to any object in the scene and have it affect (include/exclude) other selected objects based on:

1) Reflection/refraction
2) Cast/recieve shadow

So basically this is object properties settings but its per object basis for Corona Render.

For example: I have 2 spheres in the scene and a box - both have the same material but one has this override material : which makes the box reflection not visible just for this sphere (it is visible for the other sphere).
I know this might not be physically accurate, but sometimes this is needed for certain situations (also will remove post processing to achieve this effect).

Unless I am missing something and this is possible at this moment?

Thanks for input, cheers.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-01, 13:17:24 by Jak »

2021-10-01, 16:17:39
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I know this might not be physically accurate, but sometimes this is needed for certain situations

In what specific certain situations you would find such a feature useful?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-10-01, 20:34:57
Reply #2

Jak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know this might not be physically accurate, but sometimes this is needed for certain situations

In what specific certain situations you would find such a feature useful?

Studio lighting setup for product design. Actually I had to make a few workarounds to achieve my goal just yesterday, which is why this came to mind.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-01, 20:42:21 by Jak »

2021-10-19, 10:22:40
Reply #3

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Jak,

Even though the feature you mention can come handy in such situation, I don't think it will have much usage, yet settings and a set up wise it can be complicated. In fact, you can do this with object properties (Visible to reflections/refractions checkbox) for specific object but not for specific object to be affected only for another object(s).
What you are looking for is a simple compositing case, which can be done by two layer rendering of with and without the object you need the reflections cut off from, or with masking techniques or with case specific workaround in the scene.
You can actually override this by the CoronaRayswitch material (using 0 opacity material for reflected rays)- altering the reflected rays but this will be done for everything, every object being reflected on the object with Rayswitch material. Per material per object material channel overrides, I think, will bring bunch of settings and mostly confusion in the set up and I genuinely believe artistic skills are meant for such cases to find a suitable workaround in the scene.

Regards,
Aram
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us