Author Topic: Why all HDRI tutorials requires VRAY?  (Read 3726 times)

2017-07-05, 11:20:25

berbay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I would like to achieve sharp shadows via hdri map... But unfortunately all the best tutorials seem to require vray... I don't have a vray license and I believe sharp shadows can be achieved with using only corona . Right? Any help will be appreciated!! Best!

2017-07-05, 12:22:25
Reply #1

AscotDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can use a Corona Output map to adjust the gamma of the HDRI, which you could do in the Vray HDRI map. This will enable you some control over the sharpness of shadows to a certain extent.

2017-07-05, 17:48:21
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Usually if something is possible in Vray, it is possible in Corona too. :)
If you can tell us how you would approach making shadows sharper in Vray, we would help with doing the same thing in Corona.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-07-06, 11:23:01
Reply #3

berbay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can use a Corona Output map to adjust the gamma of the HDRI, which you could do in the Vray HDRI map. This will enable you some control over the sharpness of shadows to a certain extent.

I am very newbie...

Thank you  AscotDesign I will try with corona output!

thank you Maru, I will try AscotDesign's suggestion... Then I will try other tutorials, if I can not achieve I will let you know.

2017-07-06, 16:19:43
Reply #4

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This video on the Corona Renderer YouTube channel explains how to get sharper shadows using a HDRI at around the 8:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo8uxUDC29c

2017-07-06, 16:21:32
Reply #5

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I use a ColorCorrection node a tweak the Gamma/Contrast

2017-07-06, 17:40:13
Reply #6

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
The problem is 2 fold.
1.Quality of the HDRi ie EV
2.Is the sun shining in the HDRI ( seems silly but many times I used to use a cloudy HDRI and subsequently never had sharp shadows )

So for me at least, irrespective of VRAY hdri loader or even slotting it into an ouput node check the above
You cant go wrong with the following : PG skies , HDRI Haven ( very high EV's ) or CG source

Again just double check that the sun is clearly visible in the actual map and you are not trying to get sharp shadows
with an overcast HDRi map

Hope this helps

2017-07-06, 17:55:03
Reply #7

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Hi Berbay,

email me at pgskies@peterguthrie.net and i'll give you a code for a free sky to try out

Same goes for other readers of this thread, well, maybe the first 10 or so that email... my generosity is limited!