Author Topic: Render Elements reordering  (Read 4734 times)

2013-10-24, 13:27:05

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Since Coronas REs are currently a bit of a mess I'd like to collect some ideas or suggestions to how to reorder the Render Elements into a more "fool-proof" manner. I know most of the users here are not using REs at all (or just some masks) but I think it's a very important topic for people doing vfx or animation in common.

[Talking about the daily builds...]
Some here may already have noticed that the DirectLighting RE contains something I'd call specular reflection (reflections from light sources) which may not be expected behaviour for people coming from Vray/Mr/Fr. If you try to add up the elements the way it was done in Vray (Lighting + GI + Reflections + Refr. + ...) you will end up with doubled reflections here and there. The solution to get a real DirectLighting-only pass is to divide the "Diffuse" RE with "DiffuseGI".

This lead to a little discussion how to re-arrange the Elements into a more useful way.
I made a little chart how I think everything would be more logic and usable. If you use the passes with the defaults (underlined) you can use all the passes exactly as you were doing it in Vray (or whatever) before.
It would also be possible to combine all ID passes (+Wirecolor) in one pass but I think it's not necessary.

So what do you think?

[Edit] fixed a little typo in the chart
« Last Edit: 2013-10-24, 13:56:24 by DeadClown »
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-10-26, 13:53:39
Reply #1

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi DeadClown

scheme very interesting to reason!

Regards
Raf

2013-10-27, 09:02:23
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I have discussed it with keymaster...  and there is indeed some re-ordering planned. We have agreed to do some practical usability together prior to making any changes, to ensure that every day workflow will be quick, efficient, and there will not be any pain in the ass moments.

2013-10-27, 21:06:07
Reply #3

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In the subject of render elements now knowing they are being organized
Would it possible to ask Keymaster for a couple more controls in the z depth pass?( world and camera ):

-Being able to recognize max or camera clipping values as the depth values. Saves a lot of time when you work with it daily ( my goal with corona in a near future! :) )

-Height depth option ( using Y which in max is z ). Really handy for low fog effects and the sort.

Sorry Guys if Maybe this is not the right thread but it sounded pertinent. Should i instead take these to the feature request section?

2013-10-27, 21:17:20
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
that is cool, just post it in the feature request section of the forum
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-01, 15:04:50
Reply #5

monah62rus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it possible to do both at maxwellrender you can control the light source in real time?

2013-11-01, 15:10:11
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
unfortunately this is not at all easy task, but I will probably try to do it at least partially in the furture
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-01, 15:21:34
Reply #7

monah62rus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it would be very good .... but you can also make and post processing on each light your channel?! or is there?