Author Topic: auto rayswitch  (Read 4022 times)

2015-11-05, 18:41:00

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be great if there was a large button to automagically create a rayswitch material for each currently visible objects material, and feed a duplicate of the objects current material into the GI slot but with reflection/refraction set to black and then automatically re-assign each new rayswitch material to the relevant object.

Maybe increase the duplicate materials rgb level to compensate for reduction in reflection.

Just for a quick noise free render.

If it had an include/exclude function...much like the override material menu...this would help to quickly find guilty materials.

2015-11-05, 19:23:26
Reply #1

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Well, in theory this wouldn't be a difficult thing to script. Maybe a rayswitch texture in the reflection slot would even be a bit more efficient (disabling reflections for glossy rays). The question is: isn't this a bit overkill? Or maybe it's slowing down everything in a way that it doesn't make sense anymore. And my biggest concern is that people will just do it every single time everywhere, no matter if they need it or not :D

[Edit] I actually see some potential here... reflective caustics are also going mad with uhd cache sometimes. See the image below. Left is normal, right is without caustics. The effect is a bit stronger than I thought.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-05, 19:40:52 by DeadClown »
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-11-05, 20:57:43
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think Ondrej will like this thread. ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-11-05, 21:00:50
Reply #3

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I don't think Ondrej will like this thread. ;)

Certainly not :D
But let's just declare this thread "a reminder to implement a switch for reflection caustics"
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-11-06, 00:07:42
Reply #4

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, basically a GI override material which would automatically duplicate each chosen objects material and disable reflection, disable bump!, and also increase the diffuse level a relative amount based on the loss of bounce energy from decreasing th reflection.  Possibly blur the diffuse map also to remove sharp noise on the GI pass caused by noisy bitmaps.

I'm pretty sure there is hardly any noticable improvement on having bump on the gi pass...it only serves to throw out GI light in a manner which will cause higher render times to clear up the resulting noise.

This would really be great as the user would have the ability to sacrifice ultra realism on the GI passes in favour of far quicker renders (ideal for animations) but also still have the ability to revert back to ultra realism if they wished for still images for example.....without having to change the entire scenes materials to utilise ray switching.

2015-11-06, 01:43:23
Reply #5

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Possibly also provide the option for the reflection/bump etc to only effect the object where the initial bounce originated..so we could still have the GI pass effect the crevices on bump mapped objects.

2016-01-11, 18:01:16
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
nope ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)