Author Topic: Time to ditch sRGB/Linear as default (?)  (Read 102145 times)

2019-02-13, 13:52:14
Reply #195

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But monitors have dynamic contrast what should guaranteed quality color at all brightness. So even at low brightness monitor can show full spectrum color, color will be cut if i change brightness at video card driver. For sRGB mode for my model monitor was recommends 2 brightness with calibrator.

But i was telling what HDR content creators can't use HDR1000 for work, it's too bright and harm for eyes. And how this content may work at monitors with 8bit real colors i don't count fake 2bit FRS as it's just like dithering in photoshop?
Also 8bit video looks dull in HDR but i can change player settings so it will looks very similar to 10bit.
So i am thinking it some kind of ads than real advantages in colors, maybe for video it has more colors with compression, but in CG we are rendering every frame in full colors so they should have more colors than this fake HDR videos.

2019-02-13, 14:04:45
Reply #196

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There is also the current issue of 10bit output being restricted to professional cards regardless of physical input in monitor. nVidia gonna nVidia. I wonder if HDR will force them to reconsider this stupid policy.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-02-14, 16:32:05
Reply #197

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But monitors have dynamic contrast what should guaranteed quality color at all brightness. So even at low brightness monitor can show full spectrum color, color will be cut if i change brightness at video card driver. For sRGB mode for my model monitor was recommends 2 brightness with calibrator.

But i was telling what HDR content creators can't use HDR1000 for work, it's too bright and harm for eyes. And how this content may work at monitors with 8bit real colors i don't count fake 2bit FRS as it's just like dithering in photoshop?
Also 8bit video looks dull in HDR but i can change player settings so it will looks very similar to 10bit.
So i am thinking it some kind of ads than real advantages in colors, maybe for video it has more colors with compression, but in CG we are rendering every frame in full colors so they should have more colors than this fake HDR videos.

When you talk about colour though you actually mean chromaticity which doesnt take into account luminance aswell. By reducing the monitor brightness youre restricting the luminance values it can represent and therefore restricting the colours available on your shiny new HDR monitor.

2019-02-21, 09:20:27
Reply #198

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
There is also the current issue of 10bit output being restricted to professional cards regardless of physical input in monitor. nVidia gonna nVidia. I wonder if HDR will force them to reconsider this stupid policy.

This has changed. As you mentioned HDR forces them to output at higher bit depth.
But they are not stupid XD it seems that you only get 10 bit when playing games. So basically it only works when launching Direct X.

So Yes, you still need Quadro
Rendering since 2014

2019-03-14, 13:44:51
Reply #199

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You're right ! I think this how the policy exception worked for longer time. I think it's both DirectX and Fullscreen at same time, or something like that, for GTX.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-05-02, 12:51:01
Reply #200

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
Might be personal preference. I prefer Tiff for the following:

- more commonly accepted in all of its versions (16bit&32bit Tiff, whereas 16bit PNG (PNG-48) is less).
- more compression options
- more flexible alpha use (lot of applications read png with baked alpha, with Tiff they always give interpretation options)
- can save layers, good support for color profiles

It's good format to save from Corona, good format to store layers, good format to send to clients,/print.

So are you saying that you save your still images out of the Corona VFB as "16-bit Color" TIF images...? Assuming No Compression and 300dpi - to complete the TIF image control dialog?

In your opinion, would this be the best "photography" type work flow... ie. DNG -> Lightroom -> PS...?

Sorry if this is rudimentary, but a lot of this thread is well over my head...

2019-05-02, 20:59:34
Reply #201

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just saw this thread got bumped again so wondering if Dubcat or anyone else has got any more LUT/VFB wizardry for us?
Vray who?

2019-06-05, 18:26:33
Reply #202

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I too am interested in seeing what else everyone is up to on this topic. I had a bit of fun with the 3DLUT creator using the photo match tool - makes matching reference photography easy and then you can load this into your VFB for further adjustments (or just keep it as an adjustment layer in photoshop).

3DLUT Reference Color Match:
https://www.jamesvella.net/blog/2019/2/18/3dlut-creator-not-just-for-photographers

2019-06-05, 22:39:15
Reply #203

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I too am interested in seeing what else everyone is up to on this topic. I had a bit of fun with the 3DLUT creator using the photo match tool - makes matching reference photography easy and then you can load this into your VFB for further adjustments (or just keep it as an adjustment layer in photoshop).

https://www.jamesvella.net/blog/2019/2/18/3dlut-creator-not-just-for-photographers

This is awesome. Do you have access to FStorm by any chance? Would be great to see how close we could get to emulating it's fantastic standard tone mapping vs some good baseline Corona VFB settings. I've attached Dubcat's 99% accurate ACES VFB settings that he posted a while back.
Vray who?

2019-06-06, 18:36:15
Reply #204

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

This is awesome. Do you have access to FStorm by any chance? Would be great to see how close we could get to emulating it's fantastic standard tone mapping vs some good baseline Corona VFB settings. I've attached Dubcat's 99% accurate ACES VFB settings that he posted a while back.

I believe in dubcats hideout thread theres some fstorm LUTs

2019-12-05, 15:17:08
Reply #205

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
uhh i did it! 14 pages, I read them all)
I also dream of supporting the ACES color space for Corona, and I don’t understand why some people are against it, as if they had taken away the SRGB
ACES should be an added opportunity; there should always be a choice
look at Vray, I never thought I'd say it - but its VFB is pretty cool, look how many functions there are! Support for different color spaces, but what do we have in Corona? Lut and curves are good, but not enough, and tonal mapping in Corona does not work very well. For a long time I could not understand why I do not really like the result in Corona VBF, while Fshtorm VBF is just excellent, I took pure EXR and Corona, without tone mapping and transferred it to the script (or plugin) VFB +, the result of tone mapping in VFB + turned out to be much better, the gamma looks more attractive, softer, there are no aggressive blacks moving from light to dark in the shade, there is no sharp contrast and I think that if you make tone mapping in Nuk, the result will be even better, but this is already superfluous, we all want to see a good, lively picture not after tone Mapping in Nuk, and already in VFB in Corona, as it now looks in FShtorm. I love Corona, but now he is a rendering engine for housewives and this is good at the beginning, but later I want to have more features, more settings. Why it is impossible to make 2 tabs in VBF, 1 - it will be for beginners, what we have now and 2 - an expert, where there will be many settings for color space, tone mapping, support for color profiles, all like for professionals. WE NEED PROGRESS! The crown already has a lot of good things, I think almost everything that is really needed at the moment, but the render engine is primarily a picture, and here we have a problem. If we don’t fix the tone mapping in Corona VBF for what FShtorm is doing now or maybe even better, then FShtorm will become a leader, it has excellent speed because it works on the GPU and an excellent picture without problems, out of the box, until it wins due to the small amount of memory on video cards. The video memory is still not enough for large exteriors and many high-resolution textures, but the amount of video memory is constantly growing and it is possible that in the next video memory cards it will be much larger than now, which will give great opportunities for FShtorm and will bring big losses among Corona fans

2019-12-05, 16:11:13
Reply #206

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Yes, we need ACES, more exactly we need ACES CG.

Well explained article by Chris Brejon https://chrisbrejon.com/cg-cinematography/chapter-1-5-academy-color-encoding-system-aces/
Actually all the chapters of his book are great.

2019-12-05, 18:54:39
Reply #207

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
I did some small tone mapping tests.
I tried to configure the most similar settings and visually
pay attention to the shadows - the dark spots in the Corona VFB picture
in VBF + the shadow gradient is correct, in Corona VBF it is covered with a gray film and I can’t fix it

2019-12-06, 16:33:19
Reply #208

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, we need ACES, more exactly we need ACES CG.

Well explained article by Chris Brejon https://chrisbrejon.com/cg-cinematography/chapter-1-5-academy-color-encoding-system-aces/
Actually all the chapters of his book are great.

What an absolutely amazing website! Thanks!

2019-12-07, 12:47:00
Reply #209

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
I talked with the guys from framestore (https://www.framestore.com), they have their own render, but they render in ACES
It seems to me that we just need it, soon it will be the standard, as when we switched from 1.0 gamma to 2.2 gamma